Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Looks like it was not too low, but set to closed off to block wind. This will let the moisture eddy in under the tarp. Think of the fog pockets in valleys. The porch mode most likely is flat enough to let the water sit making a cool spot for condensation to start like in a glass of ice tea only needs a small temperature differential to cause it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Super fly leaking big time

Thanks guys
    We had some nice squalls move in throughout the night
    i was in full batten down the hatch mode and had no leaks
    There was small piddles under the setup maybe that was it
    Either way it was not a huge problem
    I thank you all for your help
    As you can tell in a noob and can use all the help i can get
    On that note
    I use rei tarp poles for porch mode
    And i use dutch flys larks-headed with shock cord to the tie out points on superfly

Any ideas on how to make this more "workable"
    Also any benefit or drawback in using some of that spray on waterproofing?

And lastly what to use for repairs ie "small tears / burn holes ect.
    Tia
    Last edited by brutalguyracing; 05-15-2016 at 10:12.

Images
    Old thread, just wanted to mention a couple things...

Tents are made from PU-coated fabric so the seams come factory "taped" with PU seam tape, you cannot do this to a silicone coated product, it must be sealed with silicone which requires 6-8 hours of dry time. We do not have the space to dry multiple tarps at our shop. Including a tiny tube of silicone is a good idea, I will see if I can find something like that.

Our tarps have edge binding on the Ridge seam so the RL seam should not ever leak unless a cord is running under it, if you don't run a cord under the tarp, then you do not need to seal the RL seam. The scenario that would cause the RL binding to leak...If you have a cord running under the RL seam and that cord is tensioned leaving the RL seam of the tarp somewhat loose (because most the tension is on the RL cord instead), then if the wind blows hard against the side of the tarp it can drag the Ridge seam downward so that the seam is an inch or two downhill from the cord which is now the highpoint instead. In that situation rain could run down the tarp 2" or so from the top and hit the underside edge of the binding and leak in. As long as the binding on the seam of the tarp is the highest point It should never leak. If you run an RL above the tarp, or don't use one at all then the tarp's binding will always be the highest point and there will be no issue. If you must run a cord under the tarp, just make sure you rig the binding with enough tension to keep it tight so that it stays at the very top and you should stay dry.

Condensation: Leave the doors partially open unless it is very windy, this will allow for some ventilation and should help to reduce condensation, although sometimes you'll have condensation no matter what

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Our tarps have edge binding on the Ridge seam so the RL seam should not ever leak unless a cord is running under it, if you don't run a cord under the tarp, then you do not need to seal the RL seam. The scenario that would cause the RL binding to leak...If you have a cord running under the RL seam and that cord is tensioned leaving the RL seam of the tarp somewhat loose (because most the tension is on the RL cord instead), then if the wind blows hard against the side of the tarp it can drag the Ridge seam downward so that the seam is an inch or two downhill from the cord which is now the highpoint instead. In that situation rain could run down the tarp 2" or so from the top and hit the underside edge of the binding and leak in. As long as the binding on the seam of the tarp is the highest point It should never leak. If you run an RL above the tarp, or don't use one at all then the tarp's binding will always be the highest point and there will be no issue.
    That's a good argument for not running your ridgeline under the tarp. The topic often comes up and we get our fair share of people who run their tarp ridgeline under the tarp. The moral of the story is: if you're gonna run your ridgeline under the tarp, seam seal it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's a good argument for not running your ridgeline under the tarp. The topic often comes up and we get our fair share of people who run their tarp ridgeline under the tarp. The moral of the story is: if you're gonna run your ridgeline under the tarp, seam seal it.
    I've run all of my tarps with a ridge line under, but when I pulled out my Superfly for the first time the other weekend, I saw that the ridge line of the tarp was such a nice, solid piece of work, that I felt very comfortable tying out each end out separately. I'm now debating if I need a ridge line at all. Seems like line running over the tarp might help if I wanted to do a pole mod as it would keep a little distance between the poles and the tarp. Otherwise, I wonder if it would serve any purpose.

Did get leaks at at least one of the side pull-outs the first time out. Waited for a dry day and sealed the pull-outs, so hopefully that will be the last time. Leaks aside, this is the best tarp I've ever had. Even as highly recommended as it was, I didn't expect much because I figured a tarp is a tarp, but from the shape to the design to the materials, it's pretty much perfect.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob3E View Post
    I've run all of my tarps with a ridge line under, but when I pulled out my Superfly for the first time the other weekend, I saw that the ridge line of the tarp was such a nice, solid piece of work, that I felt very comfortable tying out each end out separately. I'm now debating if I need a ridge line at all. Seems like line running over the tarp might help if I wanted to do a pole mod as it would keep a little distance between the poles and the tarp. Otherwise, I wonder if it would serve any purpose.

Did get leaks at at least one of the side pull-outs the first time out. Waited for a dry day and sealed the pull-outs, so hopefully that will be the last time. Leaks aside, this is the best tarp I've ever had. Even as highly recommended as it was, I didn't expect much because I figured a tarp is a tarp, but from the shape to the design to the materials, it's pretty much perfect.
    I've used my pole mods on my SF without a RL for dozens of nights with no issues.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I've used my pole mods on my SF without a RL for dozens of nights with no issues.
    Good to know. I think most of the photos I've seen of the pole mod also had a ridge line running over the top. Maybe it's time to convert my ridge line to two or three tie outs. Or continue to use it as a clothes line.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG cuban 12ft camo
    Insulation
    HG incubator 20
    Suspension
    HG Whoopie
    Images
    My SF is leaking pretty bad along the ridge line. Right above my face. I sealed it all the way across and hope it works. Anyone know how long the sealant will last and how it will perform in heavy rain? I used a product called "seamgrip."

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Seam grip is good stuff, if you applied it right it should last for years if not indefinitely. I use off-the-shelf 100% silicone caulking for doors and windows and it works fine without so much as a drip.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Old thread, just wanted to mention a couple things...

Including a tiny tube of silicone is a good idea, I will see if I can find something like that.
    Warbonnetguy made this comment back in May, 2016. This info may be included on other posts, but I decided to add it to this one too. Warbonnet has made good on this idea. I received two Superfly tarps in January 2107 and the photo below shows what was included:

Here's what the back of the tube says:

Our tarp's ridgeseam with black binding (built-in ridgeline) will shed water without the need for sealer as long as this seam is always the highest point.

DIRECTIONS: Apply silicone to the 4 V-shaped patches on the underside of the tarp. Apply to the stitch pattern only. Force the silicone into the needle holes and sewing thread by applying it with hard finger pressure. Hang until dry (6-8 hours).

Caution: Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. In case of eye contact, flush eyes with water and call a physician. Keep out of reach of children.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast