Thread: New In Kentucky

New In Kentucky

Hello folks,

About two years ago I took my oldest son (8) camping and one of the men on the trip had an ENO single nest. My son was curious and so was I. Recently the college where I work as an administrator and instructor renovated the undergraduate dorms, adding several hammock poles outside. My curiosity got the better of me. After spending a couple of weeks reading reviews and comparing opinions, I decided to try Appalachian Hammocks and was grateful to receive their basic hammock as a birthday gift. So far I've used it about a dozen times and think I might have set it properly at least two of those times. I am really happy with the quality of the hammock and it's ease of setup, but I would be glad to receive some advice on the basics of consistently hanging a gathered-end hammock.

Best,

Joe

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Welcome Joe! from the Lawrenceburg area. One of the keys to a consistent hang is the use of a ridgeline. It doesn't look like an Appalachian Hammock comes with one, so you can start by measuring the length of the hammock in inches and then multiplying that number by 0.83.

If you have the 'Original Appalachian Hammock' then it looks like they come in 11' lengths so a RL 110" long would work great. It's important to use some cord that won't stretch, like Amsteel or Spectra cord (para cord or anything nylon is no good as it will stretch). A RL that is 83% of the length of the hammock is a good starting point, but people use adjustable RLs so they can play around with different lengths to find a lay that they like best.

Once a RL is installed, it's important that you have your suspension lines at the correct angel or it won't really work. That's where the magic 30° number comes into play; anything greater than 30° is gonna result in a drooping RL. So aim for 30° but pull the suspension a little tighter (or lower the tree straps). Too tight, like a 5° angle will really put a lot of stress on your suspension and your anchors and will result in a 'guitar string tight' RL.

Hope that isn't too complicated, and it really shouldn't be! But adding a RL will get your lay the same time after time, regardless of tree spacing.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Welcome to the forums!