WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Hooray! My Black Friday Warbonnet sock arrived early, and I was able to try it out last night on my BB. It was a good test: clear & moonlit with no wind and 20 deg temps, using my 20-deg Incubator UQ and a 30-deg Marmot down sleeping bag as top quilt (no tarp overhead). I brought out an indoor/outdoor thermometer and inside the sock it stayed 10 deg (or more) warmer with about a 12-inch opening left unzipped at the top. Nice to know it works, even in these mild conditions -- on a windy night the difference could be huge.

One fun observation -- with no tarp and an almost full moon, it was bright inside the sock, and the image of the moon through the sock fabric had a white center and then rainbow colors extending out in a big X shape -- very cool.

Back to the subject... While I didn't find the space inside to be uncomfortably small, I can imagine it might be a little nicer if the sock was further from my face, especially with the inevitable condensation (not much, but noticeable). With my UQ there still seems to be some air space between the UQ and the sock, so I might be able to spread the sock out a little without compressing the loft of the UQ, maybe just enough to get the sock a little further away from my face. I may try to make a micro-spreader this weekend, and will post back if it helps.

Marlin
    "I'll circle in the helicopter with the camera while Jim flushes out the wild rhino on foot." -Marlin Perkins

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    snip...
    Back to the subject... While I didn't find the space inside to be uncomfortably small, I can imagine it might be a little nicer if the sock was further from my face, especially with the inevitable condensation (not much, but noticeable). With my UQ there still seems to be some air space between the UQ and the sock, so I might be able to spread the sock out a little without compressing the loft of the UQ, maybe just enough to get the sock a little further away from my face. I may try to make a micro-spreader this weekend, and will post back if it helps.

Marlin
    That is a great idea Martin.
    I did that with a bug net a few years back to get the net off my face and it worked very well.
    If you do mod your WB travel sock I hope you will start a thread with picts.

Hammock
    DutchWare Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    OutandBack's pic inspired me. I attached my Dutch tarp pole mod to my BB. These pole might be too long to put in the sock, but you can just add shorter poles to your BB then add the sock.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    That is a great idea Martin.
    I did that with a bug net a few years back to get the net off my face and it worked very well.
    If you do mod your WB travel sock I hope you will start a thread with picts.
    Okay, I made a first attempt at a micro-spreader, and started another thread with pictures. It's pretty crude at this point, but I think someone could take the basic idea and run with it to create something pretty slick.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...cro-crosspole)

Marlin
    "I'll circle in the helicopter with the camera while Jim flushes out the wild rhino on foot." -Marlin Perkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234