11' Argon gathered end
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Scouting magazine says...

...the #1 reason you should try hammock camping is because it's affordable. Bwahahahaha. It may be at first, but who can stop with just a hammock?

Scouting Magazine:Ten reasons why you should try hammock camping

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yeah, I'm only like 3 months into this and I've already enter 4 digits. I'm HOPING I'm done for a while.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Like many affordable hobbies, one can easily spend more, but it isnt necesary. I went 2 years in a hammock with only a $20 investment using tarps, bags and pads I already had. Was plenty warm and comfortable back then. An affordable car still gets you from a to b, it need not be a cadillac. But they sure ride nice.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    What he said.

I think an already equipped backpacker can convert to a hammock for under $100. Maybe well under. From there it's how much you want to upgrade. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Thanks, I'm going to send this link to the den leaders and cub master of my son's pack.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    11' Argon gathered end
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    What he said.

I think an already equipped backpacker can convert to a hammock for under $100. Maybe well under. From there it's how much you want to upgrade. ;-)
    Exactly. Sure you can get a hammock for under $100. But to be comfortable year-round and confident in blowing rain, it is unlikely you will not spend more.

My point was that the article would make the inexperienced person think they can be good to go on the cheap. Maybe, but it is a slippery slope. It's like me telling my wife a boat is a great idea at this price!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quick calculation came to $1,500 for my main hammock gear (hammock, tarp, 2 TQ and 2 UQ). Ouch! Probably another $150 for accessories.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    It can be done cheaply...it can even done WELL cheaply. Not by me...LOL...but I'm reminded of a couple of good MYOG friends of mine by reading this, and thinking of the awesome and inexpensive gear that they've put together.

Also...maybe I misread the article (which was written by one of our own, btw...), but it stated cost as the #10 (out of 10) reason, with comfort as #1, which I think we can all agree on.

And while we're lamenting on the money we've spent on our gear...I'm thinking of the same costs folk spend on ground camping gear of equal QUALITY as to what we've spent on our QUALITY hammocking gear...if you compare the two, it works out quite similar pricing schemas. I could have as easily spent the same amount of money on an equal quality bivy/down sleeping bag/tent footprint/pad as I have on my hammock/tarp/TQ/UQ. Especially if I'd have gone for equal temp/bulk/weight ratings as well as quality design/materials.

It's the comfort that's the true differentiator for most of us...price isn't that much worse when you factor in that you're spending money on equal quality gear that's often handmade by cottage industries for a niche market. Next time someone orders a custom hammock...give some thought on how much it costs to have someone handcraft virtually any sporting good item to your exact specs, and deliver within weeks.

Not picking a fight here...just offering another viewpoint. We're awfully lucky we're able to get what we got for the prices we've paid. Any other 'sport' would laugh at us complaining.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    That's a very well-written article for its audience. Thanks, Derek.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwhite View Post
    ...the #1 reason you should try hammock camping is because it's affordable. Bwahahahaha. It may be at first, but who can stop with just a hammock?

Scouting Magazine:Ten reasons why you should try hammock camping
    I saw affordability as the #10 reason, but since it's a countdown it is the first on the list. That said, Derek did a great job on the article and thank you bobwhite for bringing it some well deserved attention.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast