WBBB, ENO Double
    Tarp
    Superfly & SWT
    Insulation
    Snugfit/Prolite+
    Suspension
    WBStraps & Buckles

Need opinions:tarp comparo: WB Superfly vs Speer Winter

Soon to be the proud owner of a WBBB, I am now considering adding a solid tarp, with better coverage, to the gear closet as well. Was looking at the Speer Winter, but now seeing the Superfly with it's new detachable doors, and side tieouts, it is looking really good. But there is a pretty decent price difference, so I wanted some opinions. Both great products, and great guys making them, sure it will be hard to go wrong. So what say you? Any input for another gear lover??
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 08-10-2009 at 07:34. Reason: typo, more specific

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    They are both great products, I use both and love the coverage they offer.

The Speer Winter Tarp is awfully lightweight at only 16 oz for the coverage you get. But for that reason, it isn't quite as bombproof as the SuperFly IMO. With the gg ribbon across the ridgeline of the SuperFly, you never have to worry about the ridge stretching and getting slack and the perimeter stitching is more robust too. The SuperFly also provides more usable space with the doors completely closed. The SWT doesn't quite seal-up as well.

If weight is my madness and I don't foresee any really bad weather, I take the SWT. If I'm going someplace where the weather, particularity the wind, is going to be bad or if temps are drastically cold, I take a SuperFly. Hope it helps.

You won't be disappointed with either tarp!
    Last edited by Cannibal; 08-10-2009 at 10:17.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO Double
    Tarp
    Superfly & SWT
    Insulation
    Snugfit/Prolite+
    Suspension
    WBStraps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

The Speer Winter Tarp is awfully lightweight at only 16 oz for the coverage you get. But for that reason, it isn't quite as bombproof as the SuperFly IMO. With the gg ribbon across the ridgeline of the SuperFly, you never have to worry about the ridge stretching and getting slack and the perimeter stitching is more robust too. The SuperFly also provides more usable space with the doors completely closed. The SWT doesn't quite seal-up as well.

If weight is my madness and I don't foresee any really bad weather, I take the SWT. If I'm going someplace where the weather, particularity the wind, is going to be bad or if temps are drastically cold, I take a SuperFly. Hope it helps.

Thanks Cannibal, that actually helps a lot! I love that you have both, a gearhead after my own heart! I have learned my lesson time and time again, and again after a trip this weekend, just don't skimp, on anything gear related, spend the extra money, it pays off. Tried to save money on trekking poles, bought two sets for what one good set should have realistically cost, malfunctioned in parking lot before we ever hit the trail first time out, no hope for repair after tearing them down and working with them over hot asphalt none the less! So now we are just hoping they are accepted for a return, so we can start over. Ugh! So, yeah, thanks for the advice, I know the way I am leaning, and would rather shed ounces somewhere else to make up the difference! Was at 38 lbs this wkend, and now I will drop considerable one I go to the new BB anyway, and away from the....(gasp) tent I was carrying!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I've got too much gear by most people's definition. Luckily, I've always been somewhat rebellious.

Please don't think I'm saying that the SWT is 'skimping'; it's not. It is a fine tarp and gets plenty of use by the Cannibal Clan. I've weathered a couple of deluges in that thing while staying bone-dry. I just think the SuperFly is a winter tarp on steroids. With the addition of the removable doors, it's another step towards a universal tarp.

I wish you folks would stop ordering all these hammocks, Yeti's, and tarps from Brandon. I'm waiting for a lull in the action to get one of the new model SuperFlies myself. I WANT REMOVABLE DOORS!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps and 'biners
    Images
    I wish you folks would stop ordering all these hammocks, Yeti's, and tarps from Brandon. I'm waiting for a lull in the action to get one of the new model SuperFlies myself. I WANT REMOVABLE DOORS!
    Sorry, my fault Cannibal. I ordered my yeti a week ago.
    One day I'll come up with a clever sig.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
    Sorry, my fault Cannibal. I ordered my yeti a week ago.

No worries. He's been 'too busy to play' since he debuted the Blackbirds a year ago. I always consider myself lucky when I see a package from Warbonnet Outdoors on my doorstep.
    Trust nobody!

Maybe so but I'm pleased with my SWT. I just wish it had side pull out, have to dust off the thread injector and find Shug's video on applying panel pullouts. My SWT is way cool BROWN.

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    I know you didn't ask about OES tarps, but Brian will make you just about anything you want. I have 2 customs on their way to me soon.....right Brian

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge spinn
    Insulation
    Yeti3S JRB HudRiv
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    Images
    Hi - new to hammock forums!

I'm expecting a WB BB soon and will be needing a tarp. Sweeeet!
    It will be my first backpacking hammock.

Decided i would like something like the SWT or the Superfly since I would like good coverage and a "do it all" tarp.

Superfly's great in that the doors are removable. But I just dont know if i can do black or blue?

I contacted Brian @ OES on a 11x 10 cut like the SWT in spinn ul But have'nt heard back yet.
    I know he's busy- hit or miss- i guess? Anyone heard from him?

The Speer winter tarp looks great too of course w/ a good price and light weight.
    Hmmmmm.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge spinn
    Insulation
    Yeti3S JRB HudRiv
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    Images
    Hey Texron,

I guess you've heard from him then?
    what customs are you getting from Brian?

thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast