Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD w/poles
    Insulation
    20* HG/UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar/amsteel

Floating tent, enclosed bridge, WBRR+permanent Spindrift etc...

I recently('13 summer) started hanging and have tried a bunch of different types of hammocks, and attempted a DIY bridge. I found I really prefer the bridge hammocks but love the weathershield on my clark.
    I bought all the Argon and goodies to DIY my own bridge with weathershield but found while making my son a bridge hammock from 1.1 that my sewing skills were far from professional or fast. I'm not sure I want to take the time($) and risk wasting all the nice materials I bought so I'm stalling by pondering alternatives.

I really like the concept Warbonnet has with the Spindrift for the Ridgerunner combo. I've seen the pods and socks but am thinking if done right an integrated Spindrif+ RR would be more functional and possibly less weight.

Has anyone seen or made a permanently attached Spindrift type enclosure to the bridge hammock, essentially a floating tent? You could net the door or the whole side to vent or maintain the view and keep the bugs out still. It could be less weight as it likely wouldn't need as much material.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm not sure what you mean by "integrated Spindrift" or where you think you are going to save on material/weight unless you are thinking of a top cover without the lower portion of the Spindrift that protects the UQ from wind inducted heat loss.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD w/poles
    Insulation
    20* HG/UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar/amsteel
    Sorry, I didn't really articulate that very well did I?

I was thinking of a bridge hammock with an integrated weathershield and underquilt protector type enclosure that would cover the entire hammock and use a much smaller tarp attached to the hammock poles.

This is similar to the setup I want to buy consisting of a WBRR double layer with Spindrift all in multicam and a camo Superfly tarp(multicam would be nice but super heavy). This setup would weigh about 75oz(RR @ 39oz, Spindrift @ 17oz and Superfly at 19oz)

I'm envisioning something like the single layer/netless RR at 25oz with an integrated spindrift type enclosure fitting a little tighter saving some weight(-2oz?) but adding some weight(+4oz?) for netting/zippers on the sides to maintain the view with a smaller tarp like the Clark uses(~10oz? for 10x8). Conservative guesstimate based on those numbers would be 54oz saving more than a pound. There's potential for more weight savings as well but I'm ok with sacrificing some weight for comfort/convenience, hence the bridge.

The assumption for me is if I buy it all separately I'll likely venture to use them separetely so I'll want the double layer in multicam with net RR, multicam spindrift and ideally multicam tarp, but I'd settle for the digital camo for the weight savings. Total would be $540+s/h. I'd also likely buy the multicam UQ in case I didn't use the Spindrift so there's another ~$25 spend on the UQ that wouldn't be needed/seen in my imaginary setup.

If it was all one piece it could be a 1.1 hammock, lightweight material for the weathershield(argon?) and a small lightweight tarp so there's opportunity for considerable weight and cost savings, in my mind.

Thoughts?

• + New Posts