DIY channel end
    Tarp
    Diy Winter12
    Insulation
    DIY top/underquilt
    Suspension
    Mule tape/whoopies

Benton MacKaye Trail

Has anyone hammock camped the BMT? If so, I'd love to her about it. And any advice you may have. I would like to do it one day. I wanna do it as a mental prep for the AT, long distance wise. And i hear its beautiful. Thanks ahead of time.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Check with Sgt Rock
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I've covered from Amicalola (did the AT approach trail) to almost to Dyer gap. Started using my hammock at section 3, just because it was fall when I did the first part and I didn't have insulation for the hammock then. It is beautiful and more importantly peaceful. Even though it's the sister to the AT and parallels it for a while it is not hardly travelled. Just about the only time ever encountered other people was when I was on a section that ran with the AT or when I neared a junction with the AT or was close to a trailhead. Other than that I could go two days without seeing another hiker sometimes. There are a couple sections that are pretty tough and you need to know where to find water. The road walking section kinda sucks just because you're not in the woods. I strongly recommend getting the two guides there are for it, The Benton Mackaye Trail Guide and the Benton Mackaye Trail Databook. I say get both because one might mention something the other doesn't or describe something in a better way than the other. With those you won't have any trouble navigating or finding water. If you can start in the fall I strongly recommend adding the approach trail from Amicalola. If you time it right when the leaves are changing it will be one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen. There's a section with a lot of new growth trees and when they turn the leaves are bright yellow. I swear it looks like something out of a movie. Like maybe The House of Flying Daggers. I was just surrounded by yellow with the leaves falling all around me and walking on a carpet of color. It was truly surreal.

If you like seclusion and don't mind having to hunt for water sometimes then you will love this trail. And like Gunner said check with Sgt Rock, and his website, he knows all about the BMT. Also check out BMTA.org
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Check with Sgt Rock
    Like Gunner76 and SwinginIt said, check with Sgt Rock. YouTube doesn't have much on BMT, but check for Sarge's post here on HF to follow the links under his signature. I have been trying to hike from Springer Mtn to the suspension bridge over the Toccoa River for a while, but the kids' schedules have kept me from knocking this out. It would be a nice 2 day trip for an adult or a 3 day trip if my kids go.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I traveled the trail from Buck Bald to Dyer Gap in the spring. Not much traffic, I seen one other hiker and two folks riding horses, so you can expect to alone most of the time as others have said. Some of the trail is a little grown up, but was easily followed. This would be a great hike in the fall as well. I plan to start the Ga. loop on 10/06, and think it will be similar to the BMT.

Hammock
    DIY channel end
    Tarp
    Diy Winter12
    Insulation
    DIY top/underquilt
    Suspension
    Mule tape/whoopies
    I want go southbound. I live in alcoa which is kinda near the north trailhead. And i have family outside Atlanta. Does anyone know the cost? Is it the same as the AT? $1.50 to $2.00 a mile?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    Last summer (May) my 12 year old son and I hiked about 50 miles on the BMT, starting at Amicalola and heading north. We loved it, but be warned....some stretches can be a tough hike.

I like the BMT better than the AT since its a lot more secluded. We went a day and a half without seeing another soul. There are places that the BMT crosses the AT. It was like going from a deserted country road and crossing a 6 lane freeway.

I bought Sft. Rock's guide book...great info in there for anyone looking to hike along the BMT. The BMTA.org website also has some good stuff on there.

There were a few stretches where water was scarce, but if you plan correctly, it really isn't a problem. Tons of places to hang a hammock.

You asked about cost to hike. I'm not sure what you mean. There isn't any charge to hike on the national forest trails. If you are talking about the cost of food and stuff, I think that's going to vary significantly by person. I'm sure a person could get by on $5-$6 per day. On a 4-5 day hike, I love dehydrated meals for dinner (both Mountain House as well as Korr instant potatoes and such). At $8 a pop, the Mountain House meals can seem a bit pricey, but its a whole lot less than I would spend on a vacation somewhere else. I always budget about $20 per day on food/snacks/consumables when I go out on a longer (4-5 day) hike.

• + New Posts