WB RR
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing

Overnighter at Greenleaf State Park

My daughter and i are going to Ouachita mountains in November, so we thought we better do some practice runs beforehand. I haven't done any backpacking camps since 1975 (yes, i'm an old fart), and she'd never done one at all. So we packed up and headed down early Saturday morning. High's in 80s, lows in 60s. Part of the trail covers an old road that's now only used for lake access, but it's interesting to see how the asphalt resurfacing has eroded.

IMG_0101.jpg

The plan was to take the lakeside trail up to Mary's cove, have lunch there, and then continue north to the primitive campsite. Part of the trail covers an old road that's now only used for lake access, but it's interesting to see how the asphalt resurfacing has eroded. it's about 5.5 miles from the trailhead to Mary's Cove. We had Mountainhouse for lunch and got to use the new cook kit. I got a GSI Dualist earlier this year and though it's a bit bulky, it worked out great. Plenty of capacity to boil water for two people's lunch/dinner AND a cup of hot chocolate each.

IMG_0118.jpg

After lunch we headed toward the primitive campsite...but noone told us we'd be using the primitive trail. There were a couple of times that we had to spend a minute or two looking for the next trail marker. After about 3/4 mile we decided that we didn't really need to get to the primitive site after all, and opted to double-back to Mary's cove. After finding a nice place off of the trail to set up I coached her on how to set up the hammock, the tarp, etc, etc. Also got to teach her about vaseline covered cotton balls and fire strikers. I even got to use the Sawyer Mini for the first time.

IMG_0146.jpg

We were both using new packs, so we were curious how they would ride. They did well. Had plenty of room for all that we brought in. Also, she had never slept overnight in the Ridgerunner, so i was uhhhh, lets say "anxious" about how she would sleep. I slept lightly (i thought), waking up every time I heard her rustle around. But that told me that she was safe and learning about the hammock.

The next morning we were up dawn, fixed breakfast, broke camp, and headed back. On the way back she told me she was sleeping lightly too, and that every once in awhile a little snore would come from my hammock (me snore?), and that would tell her I was doing ok. All in all, it was a great trip. Spent time with the kiddo, tried out new gear, and generally took it easy.

IMG_0115.JPG

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    SB,

Nice post. Nothing beats being outdoors with the kid(s).

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    great post, and great looking trip. Congrats on getting to spend time with your daughter making awesome memories and planting the seed of what I'm sure will be a life long love of backpacking.

I spend a lot of time in the Ouchitas and can tell you it's a beautiful place to go backpacking, just check the map and keep an eye on water sources.
    -Jon-

I am a Tulsa camper, and can not tell you how many times I have taken the Scouts to Green Leaf to do the hike up to Mary's Cove. I have found that October and April are the best times of the year, weather wise and bug wise. ( in May the ticks are all over the place, falling on us from the trees.) We usually do the upper trail along the ridge when hiking in, and the lower trail by the lake side coming out. The only problem I have had was high lake water that washed out some of the lower trail.

Hope you have a good time in the Quachita's. Where exactly are you going?
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Nice outing!! What were the new packs you tried out?
    Glad for you that you are out and about again.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowanderer View Post
    Nice outing!! What were the new packs you tried out?
    Glad for you that you are out and about again.
    We are using Osprey packs.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    great post, and great looking trip. Congrats on getting to spend time with your daughter making awesome memories and planting the seed of what I'm sure will be a life long love of backpacking.

I spend a lot of time in the Ouchitas and can tell you it's a beautiful place to go backpacking, just check the map and keep an eye on water sources.
    Thanks. yes, water is a concern to me and i've seen a few maps of the area. Do you know if there's a preferred set of maps around, or if there's a good website that reports the current conditions?

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a great time out in the piney woods. Always nice to get the kids out camping.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I hiked from Talimena State Park to Eagle Gap back in April. It was a great trip. The best maps I've seen are at http://www.ouachitamaps.com/OT.html

Tim Ernst has about the only printed guide of the trail, and it is excellent. http://www.timernst.com/Products/OT.html

The Friends of the Ouachita Trail maintain a trail conditions page at http://friendsot.org/trail_conditions/
    Last edited by Zed; 10-05-2014 at 20:57. Reason: Fix link

• + New Posts