Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images

Multipurpose Bottom/Top Cover

Hello - long time lurker who decided to join the community here. I'm not new to hanging or gear making. I was in the military for 30 years and recently retired. Any time my unit and I were deployed, we were already to go as each of us had a hammock in place of the tents/bivies we were issued. It was so much better. We had our own sewing machines and everyone learned to make their own hammocks/suspensions/under quilts/tarps/etc.

This is a lightweight (to me anyway) multipurpose combination bottom cover (or quilt protector as you call it here) and top cover that fits a wide range of gathered end and bridge hammocks.

The materials needed are 4 yds (12 ft) of 1.1 ripstop, 6 cord locks and 140 inches of 1/8" shock cord. This is a very easy to construct project even for beginners. It takes about an hour to make from start to finish. Start with 144 inches (12ft) of 1.1 ripstop.

The finished dimensions are 140 inches long by 62 inches wide. The material I'm using for this post is breathable 1.1 ripstop that is 66 inches wide. A finished width of 58-60" works ok also if you cant find wider material.

With these dimensions the bottom/top cover will fit 10ft to 12ft gathered end hammocks and bridge hammocks 80 to 100 inches long.
    There are 1 inch channels all the way around. Make sure you hem the sides first as both the ends are going to be gathered just like a hammock. There will be adjustable draw cords on both sides - this is what lets it fit many different hammocks.The fit is purposely a little "loose" so any type of under quilt won't end up compressed, but not too loose as to drag the ground.

I wont be getting into the sewing part too much as this can be considered a novice/beginners project. It took me less than an hour to make this - that includes cutting the material. If your off an inch or so, relax - it's not critical. It doesn't have to be perfect, just functional.
    I should also note that you can make it longer or shorter to fit your needs. I got tired of making covers that only fit a specific hammock - now I only have to have one. I tinker a lot and have a bakers dozen of hammocks in different sizes and types and this cover fits everything.

What does it weight? 10.6 oz. A bit of the weight comes from the cords and cord locks. An Argon cover and 3/32 cord would be half the weight. I can wad the cover up as is and put it in my jacket pocket with room to spare.

So first - make a 1 inch (double fold) channel down each side and then make 1 inch channels at each end. There is a reason I use 1 inch channels on the sides - I'll get to that in a bit. Does it have to be 1 inch? No, but it makes it easier to sew - as long as it's about one inch, it's ok. Feel free to experiment.

190.JPG

192.JPG

Once that's done its time to make another channel in the middle of each side edge. I marked the center (just fold it in half) and then measure out 20 inches on both sides of the mark - mark those spots. Do this on both sides.

Now - just fold over the 1 inch channel between the 2 marks you made and sew it closed as close to the inside edge as you can. You will now have a 1/2 inch channel that already has the ends finished that's 39 to 40 inches long. Its not critical. This saves you sewing on a separate piece of material for the side channel. This method also works for hammock sides to take up the droop.

193.JPG

All that's needed now is to cut your shock cord. You'll need two 40 inch long pieces and two 30 inch pieces. The 40 inch ones are for the sides and the 30 inch ones are for the ends.
    Thread the shock cord thru the side channels and put a cord lock on both ends. The 30 inch cords are threaded thru the end channels. I use 1 cord lock and insert the two shock cord ends thru the 1 cord lock. Tie an overhand knot on all the ends so the cord wont come out of the cord lock.

195.JPG

196.JPG

Your done! I also use a pair of mini biners for the ends to attach to my hammocks- one biner for each end, but its not necessary. You can also use a prussic on your hammock suspension and run it up or down to connect to the cover ends. You can also simply tie the cord to your suspension.
    Hook up both ends to your hammock and then tighten the side draws to fit. You can also lay in your hammock and adjust the sides and feel how tight/loose the cover is on the bottom of your under quilt. I leave a 2 inch gap between my UQ and the UC.

197.JPG

198.JPG

201.JPG

203.JPG

199.JPG

200.JPG

To use it as a top cover - just hook up the ends and spread the cover over your hammock ridgeline. I use small 1/2" tabs sewn on the hammock sides made from 1/2 inch gross grain or the 1/2" Beasty D rings work great too.. I put the ends of the side shock cords thru the tabs - you can also use mitten hooks. In this configuration the top cover will stay put but also not form a lot of condensation inside the cover as only the ends and middle are connected to your hammock. Just unhook one side for easy entry/exit.

205.JPG

206.JPG

208.JPG

Used as a bottom cover you will notice a difference as the wind is blocked and there is now a dead space between the cover and the bottom of your quilt or hammock. Make sure you dont pull it up too tight - you need that dead air space.

I've used infrared goggles to see if warm air is escaping up the sides - if you make it snug there is minimal loss. I can feel a difference in just a few minutes and I've never gotten too hot (I'm a very cold sleeper).

Recorded temperature rise when used as a top cover averaged 10 degrees if it wasn't too windy. It "felt" much warmer as it blocked the cool/cold wind. More tabs on the cover and hammock can make an even bigger difference. Shock cord can also be run around the bottom of the hammock tying the sides of the cover when its really windy. Just be aware that condensation may form on the inside of the top cover if it's fitted too tightly.

Without too much a hit on the weight, you can make 2 covers and use them both or separately as needed. Yes, I have 2 covers - they both fit in one jacket pocket.

Here it is on a 90" bridge hammock.

216.JPG

I just hook the cover over the spreader ends all the way around and loosely tie the ends to the spreaders. Tighten the side draws to take up any slack. This is the reason for the long side draws - they can take up a lot of slack to fit lots of different hammocks.

Sorry for the lack of "action" shots. I took all the pictures in my shed last night.

Next up will be a diy combo synthetic/down pillow with a hidden zipper.

Vincent

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome, nice tutorial. I may put this on my list of stuff to make.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Thank you, PointPastor.

Very we'll written/documented tutorial. I've got a UQP was thinking about something like this for the top in cold weather. Thanks for the motivation. Might have to teach myself some thread injecting skills.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Thanks Michigandave. If I can learn to sew - anyone can. I realize that 2 of these for top and bottom would equal a hammock sock, but the weather here is crazy and can be cold and ice as a storm comes thru and an hour later it's 90 degrees. With my monster UQ (synthetic), I'm not always worried about the bottom half and like a top cover more for heat retention and sometimes I carry a 40 degree uq and need the cover for a little bit more heat retention for the bottom.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Nice project! So you didn't get in trouble for swapping out gear in the military, or is it only because it's non-combat parts?

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by V_Allen View Post
    Thanks Michigandave. If I can learn to sew - anyone can. I realize that 2 of these for top and bottom would equal a hammock sock, but the weather here is crazy and can be cold and ice as a storm comes thru and an hour later it's 90 degrees. With my monster UQ (synthetic), I'm not always worried about the bottom half and like a top cover more for heat retention and sometimes I carry a 40 degree uq and need the cover for a little bit more heat retention for the bottom.
    That makes me think of making two of these that join together to make a sock.

Love your project, and thanks for your service!

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    That makes me think of making two of these that join together to make a sock.

Love your project, and thanks for your service!
    Thank you! It works quite well when you join the 2 covers together as a sock - sewing them together and using omnitape for a door works well. I've also made a dual layer hammock with 2 covers. I have lots of tabs on the edges on mine so I can tie things together when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyinma View Post
    Nice project! So you didn't get in trouble for swapping out gear in the military, or is it only because it's non-combat parts?
    Thank you! We did it all the time - we had hammocks, Western Mountaineering down sleeping bags, quilts, etc. when we went overseas. The one thing everyone liked was the issue goretex bivy sack.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting ideas. Thanks for sharing them.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Interesting ideas. Thanks for sharing them.
    Your quite welcome, nothermark!

• + New Posts