Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images

My DIY Hammock Pillow

Hello again. This is my take on a multipurpose hammock pillow. It has dual inserts so you can add/subtract for different conditions - winter/summer/etc. It has small zipper on the side and measures 14x9 in size. With both inserts it has a thickness of 6 inches. It crunches up to the size of a softball.

For the inserts, one is filled with leftover synthetic climashield and the other is filled with 2 ounces of leftover 700 fill down.

The dimensions make for a smallish pillow that weighs a total of 6.6 oz. Some may want a bigger pillow so go ahead and make it the size you need.

The inserts are made from scrap 1.1 ripstop and both measure 14x9 in size. Just cut 2 pieces of material, sew 3 sides together, turn it inside out and fill with the insulation of your choice. Fold over the open end and sew shut. Done!

This is a great beginners project as its very simple to make. It provides me with just the right amount of support for my neck and head. The cover material is some scrap 2.6? solid weave - thick enough for rough use and washable. This material has a rough texture and once placed in the hammock it doesn't slide around much.

The zipper may seem hard, but it's really easy. The zipper needs to be sewn in first. I followed the directions given here: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/10...ic-zipper.html and got it right the first try. I made my zipper 7 inches long.

158.JPG

159.JPG

160.JPG

162.JPG

163.JPG

164.JPG

209.JPG

211.JPG

213.JPG

When the cover gets dirty, just remove the inserts and throw the cover into the washing machine.

Vince

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Good project! You must have had an extra double double tab zipper pull, or did you want the pillow easy to get out of

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Thank you and good catch! I only had double tabs. You never know when your pillow may swallow you, so its good to have a way back out! Smaller pillows are easier to handle in this instance than big pillows which tend to put up more of a fight. Dual purpose in more ways than one!

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Great project. When I did mine, about the same size as yours, I added a little grosgrain loop to the middle of one of the long sides so I could put a thin elastic cord and attach it to my ridge line. That way it doesn't fall on the ground with all of my squirming.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckyinma View Post
    Great project. When I did mine, about the same size as yours, I added a little grosgrain loop to the middle of one of the long sides so I could put a thin elastic cord and attach it to my ridge line. That way it doesn't fall on the ground with all of my squirming.
    Thank you, Beckyinma. I was going to add a loop and cord, but changed my mind after using it a few times. The outer material is rough enough to keep it from sliding around but not be uncomfortable. Other pillows that were made with 1.1/1.9 ripstop do have a loop and cord leash as they slip and slide all over as I move around in the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by V_Allen View Post
    Thank you, Beckyinma. I was going to add a loop and cord, but changed my mind after using it a few times. The outer material is rough enough to keep it from sliding around but not be uncomfortable. Other pillows that were made with 1.1/1.9 ripstop do have a loop and cord leash as they slip and slide all over as I move around in the hammock.
    True. I made pillows using the same material as my hammocks, 1.3 oz, super slippery, but soft too.. yay. They are comfy, because I used fill out of my favorite pillows (retired but kept them of course) but not 'against the face worthy' so I also made pillow cases. I have favorite pillow cases. When the cases wore out, I kept them because the cotton was SO soft, something like 440 thread count Egyptian cotton or something. They rip easily now because they're old and worn.. Anyway, I used that on one side and fleece on the other for pillow cases and put the ribbon loop on those. They are less slippery, but I fear still having it fall out on a rainy or sandy ground.. gross. So still put the loops on them. It's proved its worth already. LOL. If you couldn't tell, I'm very particular about what I put my head on at night.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    If you couldn't tell, I'm very particular about what I put my head on at night.
    I know the feeling. I spent years using a combat backpack for a pillow. Really lumpy. Now that I'm making my own stuff, I always err on the far side of "comfy".

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by V_Allen View Post
    I know the feeling. I spent years using a combat backpack for a pillow. Really lumpy. Now that I'm making my own stuff, I always err on the far side of "comfy".
    SO worth it! That sentiment after all is what drove most of us into hammocks in the first place. May as well make the most of it and go as comfy as possible!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    That's a great looking pillow. Mine's a roll of packing foam wrapped up tootsie-roll style in a spare bandana. Your's looks far classier

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    SO worth it! That sentiment after all is what drove most of us into hammocks in the first place. May as well make the most of it and go as comfy as possible!
    Yes, indeed!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast