WB XLC and RR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    W. Logics and UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

Bridge Hammock Question

I am looking at buying a new hammock that will fit my frame better than my Skeeter Beeter Pro. I have been looking at the various bridge hammocks and was wondering if any of you big guys out there have used them. I'm 6'5" and weigh 250 pounds. The Jacksrbetter bridge hammock is specific that it is for people up to only 6'3". I have also looked at the one made by Warbonnet, and they list it up to 6'6", which is great, but also list the max weight at 250. Here is my concern: Besides me, I would also have pads, quilts, blankets, random other things in the hammock that would push me above that mark. Should I look elsewhere, not worry about a bridge hammock, or think that the 250 is not a "hard" limit and not worry about it? Being able to lay flat without being at an angle has some appeal, but I don't want to blow $200 on something I am going to tear or buckle.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    WB XLC and RR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    W. Logics and UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Thank you very much!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    This is my suggestion as well. Opie will make you a custom bridge to fit you. I am a large girth individual however only 5'9" tall. I made my own bridge hammocks out of the polyester crinkle taffeta table cloth fabric. The main consideration for weight rating in a bridge hammock are the spreader bars. They have to handle the compressive force applied to them. This compressive force can be reduced by having a longer suspension triangle side length. This is what the Warbonnet ridge runner does since their head end spreader bars are quite long compared to other bridge hammocks. I made my spreader bars from 1" hardwood dowel (the straightest ones I could find at Home Depot). The only downside to these are they are 1 piece and are a little hard to backpack with.

Other than these items I followed the videos that Grizzly Adams put out for the Rhino Bridge. It's in the DIY Stickies section.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    These look pretty stout, and comfortable.

http://www.maverickgear.com.au/

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I am 6'4" 230 lbs--------the ridge runner is perfect for me!!! Trust me, you are going to love the bridge hammock! Its just about perfect for people our size! (GE hammocks never were very comfortable for me) I believe you could order extra beefy spreader bars for the ridgerunner to help with the weight limit, but if you could get opie to make you a bridge with heavier material, thats problably a better option. Good luck on your quest!!!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB XLC and RR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    W. Logics and UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    You guys rock! This has got to be one of the best outdoor sites on the web. And to think not one "this is the best survival knife for killing zombies" post. Thanks again everyone.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    All the ''killing zombies" posts are in the Donating Members Off Topic Forums.

• + New Posts