Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    I am about 10 lbs under the weight limit for the SL 1.1 that WB recommends. Is that enough under? Mostly right now I am out for one to three nights at a time.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I no longer use 1.1 oz single layer hammocks. In my personal experience, they border on disposable. Maybe I'm the type of user not suited to such lightweight fabric (though I'm only 160 lbs). I've had two 1.1 oz. single-layer hammocks rip on me - that's two too many.

When I'm on the trail, I want to know I'll make it to my destination without having to sleep on the ground. I'll find some other way to save weight rather than 1.1 oz. single-layer hammocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Cloud
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I no longer use 1.1 oz single layer hammocks. In my personal experience, they border on disposable. Maybe I'm the type of user not suited to such lightweight fabric (though I'm only 160 lbs). I've had two 1.1 oz. single-layer hammocks rip on me - that's two too many.

When I'm on the trail, I want to know I'll make it to my destination without having to sleep on the ground. I'll find some other way to save weight rather than 1.1 oz. single-layer hammocks.
    Out of curiosity, do you know what caused your 1.1 SL hammocks to rip? Do you keep your hammock on the outside of your pack and it gets snagged on things?
    I've been using a DIY 1.1SL for about 1.5 years with no signs of wear or tear and I'd like to keep it that way!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CC_Cinci View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you know what caused your 1.1 SL hammocks to rip? Do you keep your hammock on the outside of your pack and it gets snagged on things?
    I've been using a DIY 1.1SL for about 1.5 years with no signs of wear or tear and I'd like to keep it that way!
    On the outside of my pack?

No, I don't think so. I probably got a year out of my first 1.1 oz. single-layer hammock, five minutes out of the second. Probably just bad luck on my part; one day I looked down and there was a small rip, not even in a weight-bearing area. Doesn't matter - I'm not sleeping in a hammock with a rip.

Some say you need to empty your pockets and make sure you're totally free of any sharp objects to protect your hammock. Sometimes I do that; sometimes I don't (do I really need to remove my belt and take my keys out of my pocket?). All I know is that I've never gotten a rip in any of my hammocks weighing 1.7 oz. or greater.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Gear failure is inevitable. I remember a five-day canoe trip a few years ago and my hiking boots both spontaneously disintegrated. I went barefoot for five days in the Adirondacks - not a particular hardship for me since I go barefoot for half the year anyway (I'm looking at you, octothorpesaurus).

Losing a hammock, and having to sleep on the ground - that would be catastrophic - it would totally harsh my buzz. I suppose a tarp failure would be even more catastrophic, but if the hammock were still good, at least I wouldn't be on the ground!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have Blackbirds in both 1.1oz and 1.7oz fabric, but both DL. I haven't had any problems with bushes or anything snagging either the 1.1oz or the 1.7oz (apart from velcro, that is). However, Brandon seems to change the 1.1oz fabric occasionally. I once had a WB Traveler that was made of very soft and silky 1.1oz fabric. My BB 1.1oz is made of stiffer, more "crinkly" fabric.

I can't say too much about stretch because both double layered hammocks' weight limit is far above my actual weight. The 1.1oz is a bit more stretchy, though. I found that I can't sleep in a hammock that is too stretchy - I've had no luck with a DIY SL 1.6oz Argon hammock, so I guess a 1.1oz SL WB would be out of question for me. You seem to own a couple of hammocks already. Maybe this will help you decide which fabric to pick. Although I've heard of 1.1oz SL hammocks failing on the forum, I've never heard about a 1.1oz SL WB hammock failing. Not sure if I would take the risk of a lightweight SL hammock if I was just 10lbs under the weight limit, though. Don't forget that you're not sleeping naked in the hammock, but probably wear something and use some insulation and maybe a pillow etc. I'm always surprised how heavy my hammock feels, when all my sleeping gear is in it and I need to loosen the suspension...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    FWIW, I also think the 1.1 is much nicer to lie in. The feel of the fabric is smoother. I'm sometimes considering getting a 1.1 DL instead of my 1.7 SL XLC for that reason alone (had one regular size before).

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    I currently have a HH expedition BE, which I like, but am thinking about a zipper entry, and it's rather a bit heavy. I can get a good lay in it b/c of it's size (dirty minds....leave it).

I have a HH adventure racer, which after one night, I know I do not like. The weight is awesome, but I could not get comfy and my legs kept falling through the BE slot. (selling right now in FS/FT)

I also have a SL BIAS, I think it's the camper. I like this, but without a net, I feel exposed, so this is great for backyard use. I find it comfy, and the feel is great (softer than the HH Exped), but I have not gone overnight in it, and I always wonder if it is strong enough to hold me! 140 lbs.

Not sure what this means for what I like for fabric.

Thank you for all the advice so far. I think that I might be looking into a 1.9 WBBB. Going to look for used though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    HF 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CC_Cinci View Post
    I fully concur with SivrSurfer. I have a 1.1 SL hammock that developed stress marks in several areas the first summer I used it. I am 30 lbs. under max weight.

Not only that, sleeping in a 1.1 SL is like sleeping in a sack.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i like the feel of 1.1 on my skin, but i like the sturdiness of a stronger weave. That and the desire for multicam made me go with my multicam DL XLC. 1.9 multicam on the outside, 1.1 olive on the inside.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast