Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW

Brand New Suspension Frayed - ARGH!

I'm only posting this because I know you guys will appreciate my frustration. As I mentioned in my first thread, my son, who has special needs, was a big part of the impetus for getting my hammock in the first place, but I also wanted to use it for solo camping. So, I replaced the rope loops and s-hooks in the gathered ends with homemade whoopie slings and figured out a way to hang it from the underside of my kids' loft bed when not camping (looped the sling on each end around a corner of the bed and back on itself - held in place with a toggle - in this case one of those non load-bearing carabiners so there's no chance of it slipping out). It hangs pretty high, but we have another bed under the loft bed, so my son can climb in easily, and if he falls out, he has something soft to land on. Well, he liked it alright. He used it as a swing, laying in it sideways and pushing off the wall with his feet back and forth. I wasn't too worried, because I didn't think there were any sharp edges for the slings to fray against. But, as soon as he got out, I went and inspected them, and sure enough, one is already badly frayed! I haven't even spent a single night in this hammock yet, and already, part of the suspension is ruined - ARGH!

I'm going to cut out the frayed part and see if there's enough cord left to convert it to a UCR. Then I'll have to figure out some other easy way to switch it from inside mode to outside mode without using the whoopie slings for the inside hang. I'll also hang it as low to the bed as I can without it scraping, that way he won't be able to swing it so wildly.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    man that's a bummer! I guess you now have a good excuse to buy some more DIY supplies.
    -Jon-

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I guess just think of it as "Testing". Little guys in particular are very good at finding the weakness in ANYTHING. My son about drove me crazy when he was growing up! His specialty was tying knots and he loved rope, thread any kind of line. He was also an expert at getting screws out of things. It was ages before I could open a door and not have the handle come off in my hand or walk through a room without encountering a piece of cordage tying something together. My son was also a special needs person. He is grown now, funny part is after all the negative things I was warned about happening to him as an adult, guess what? He managed to get through college as an adult, he had help because he does have special needs, he did earn a piece of paper telling the world he is an Electrical Engineer. Yes, his is 40, however, he did what everyone told me was impossible. His life is very good, different than average, maybe much better than average. He is happy, I am very pleased.

You have just had your gear tested by an expert, financial set back yes, but I bet you the greatest parent ever.

If you were Hanging in a Storm, and your lines frayed, it could be serious, this way you know there could be a problem with repetitive movement.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrplan View Post
    I'm only posting this because I know you guys will appreciate my frustration. As I mentioned in my first thread, my son, who has special needs, was a big part of the impetus for getting my hammock in the first place, but I also wanted to use it for solo camping. So, I replaced the rope loops and s-hooks in the gathered ends with homemade whoopie slings and figured out a way to hang it from the underside of my kids' loft bed when not camping (looped the sling on each end around a corner of the bed and back on itself - held in place with a toggle - in this case one of those non load-bearing carabiners so there's no chance of it slipping out). It hangs pretty high, but we have another bed under the loft bed, so my son can climb in easily, and if he falls out, he has something soft to land on. Well, he liked it alright. He used it as a swing, laying in it sideways and pushing off the wall with his feet back and forth. I wasn't too worried, because I didn't think there were any sharp edges for the slings to fray against. But, as soon as he got out, I went and inspected them, and sure enough, one is already badly frayed! I haven't even spent a single night in this hammock yet, and already, part of the suspension is ruined - ARGH!

I'm going to cut out the frayed part and see if there's enough cord left to convert it to a UCR. Then I'll have to figure out some other easy way to switch it from inside mode to outside mode without using the whoopie slings for the inside hang. I'll also hang it as low to the bed as I can without it scraping, that way he won't be able to swing it so wildly.
    If you are coming to the hang in November, i will give you a new set of whoopies in your choice of color.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    If you are coming to the hang in November, i will give you a new set of whoopies in your choice of color.
    I was thinking about it, but I've already committed to another trip later in the month, so I may have to sit this one out. Thanks for the offer though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Do you have a picture of it? Amsteel does tend to fray and fuzz and the braids can look distorted at the exit of the adjustable bury but as long as the individual strands are intact then they should still be fine to use.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    couldn't you cut the frayed portion out and splice in another length of Amsteel? Reminds me about what the old string bartender said when the underage kids asked him for a drink.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    couldn't you cut the frayed portion out and splice in another length of Amsteel? Reminds me about what the old string bartender said when the underage kids asked him for a drink.
    "I'm a frayed knot"
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    ^ points awarded
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW
    Dutch beat me to it, but that joke's one of my favorites. To this day, my college friends of fifteen years still kid me about telling that one too much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast