Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    Thanks guys! I've looked at the polyester and seatbelt style webbing at strapworks. Will either of these be lighter than my current nylon tublar? And which is better for hammocks, seat belt or polyester and which of these two would be lighter? Thanks so much. After some hanging I do see the stretch now. Plus my nylon seems to absorb a ton of water when it rains.
    The lightest polyester webbing we have found is the Harbor Freight yellow lashing straps webbing, 1" x 12'. Cut off the hooks on one end, and you have 2 12' webbing or 4 6', or ...

if you have a Harbor Freight near you, this webbing is the least expensive you can get also. Probably the least expensive even if you have to get on-line.

If you don't mind the yellow color, it works very well.

Anything from Strapworks is good quality, but is going to be much heavier, but with a higher rated strength also. We have found the rating of the Harbor Freight straps at 1200 lbs to be adequate.

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    thanks tired feet. You know what, I got two hammocks so I'm gonna get both kinds (harbor freight and strapworks) to see which I prefer. Man this hammock stuff is addictive! Hey any excuse for new gear right?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    .......Hey any excuse for new gear right?
    Right!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    hey carolinahammockhanger I just ordered the seatbelt straps from strapworks. these are very nice. I bought (1) 30 ft simple sling with 1/2 in sewn loops. with shipping cost was 16 bucks, and arrived in 4 days. I just used them to hang in my backyard and they worked great. you can go to harbor freight and get cheap ratchet straps, but then you have the ratchet mechanism still laying around. I would recommend just buying from strapworks.JMO
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I used to use the tubing stuff from my mountaineering store near here. I still have one set that I use made of it. I use it in the garage and have for a year or so. I never had any trouble with it stretching. Made two other sets for friends and they are still using them. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Tubular webbing that's designed for climbing applications is almost always made of nylon, and is designed to stretch under load--this acts as a dynamic peak-force limiter for high factor falls. You probably don't care all that much about that stuff. (We'll ignore Dyneema/Spectra webbing for the moment, since it's rarely sold as roll goods.)

Different climbing ropes come with different ratings re: static and dynamic elongation percentages. I've never seen figures like that posted for climbing webbing, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they exist.

Nylon webbing has a rated strength of at least 22 kN, which translates to about 4800 lbs. Even with a taut setup and a heavy hammocker, you won't see a huge amount of stretch due solely to load.

The place that nylon webbing loses its points is when it rains. Nylon stretches like mad when it's wet, and tubular webbing is no exception.

You probably won't see Dyneema webbing available as roll goods rather than pre-sewn slings because the fiber is so slippery most knots won't hold.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I recall seeing elongation numbers posted for nylon webbing many years ago, but don't remember the exact numbers. I do remember that they are WAY lower than rope elongation numbers, by at least an order of magnitude.

To a climber, nylon is essentially static. It has a tiny bit of stretch, which might make the difference between breaking your back and not, but no climber in his right mind wants to take a fall directly onto tubular nylon webbing. It hurts. A lot. We always try to keep the rope involved in the system if we think there's any chance we'll take a fall on it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I recall seeing elongation numbers posted for nylon webbing many years ago, but don't remember the exact numbers. I do remember that they are WAY lower than rope elongation numbers, by at least an order of magnitude.

To a climber, nylon is essentially static. It has a tiny bit of stretch, which might make the difference between breaking your back and not, but no climber in his right mind wants to take a fall directly onto tubular nylon webbing. It hurts. A lot. We always try to keep the rope involved in the system if we think there's any chance we'll take a fall on it.
    exactly, a climber uses short pieces of it, so the amount of stretch in 2' of webbing is a tiny amount, so the nylon runners aren't giving much shock absorbtion, that's why they probably didn't think twice about switching to dyneema. all the shock absorption comes from the rope and belay device.

using short pieces of nylon climbing webbing (like to attach smc rings or whatever) it's such a short piece you'll notice no stretch from it. use a longer piece (say a 15' piece for your suspension line) and you might, it is alot stronger though so it would certainly stretch alot less than say 1500# nylon would. it's way overkill on strength and thus alot heavier.

the 1" camo polyester from www.owfinc.com is pretty light and stretches very little. it's lighter than the stuff from strapworks, but probably not quite as light as the harbor freight 1200# poly. (but it's not yellow either)

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    thanks! sounds like webbing shopping is on my things to do list. man my stuff does stretch when wet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12