Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images

rock climbing webbing

I've been using my rock climbing webbing for my hammock suspension with no problems. Its from the company blue water. Does anyone know if this webbing is nylon or polyester? I've seen on here people complaining about nylon (ENO straps) and was curious what kind I've been using. Its work fine but I was just curious if I was missing out on something better. I usually use 1/2 inch(15mm). I got 2 15ft sections and they weight 6 ounces. I wanna keep my setup light as possible but still strong. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Check rei.com
    Under "climbing" you should find some descriptions of typical webbing. I think it is nylon but have not reviewed it lately.
    BTW - I use my climbing loops to support my tarp and sometimes my hammock, depending on tree size. They are spectra so breaking should not be a problem. Just clip a biner through the end of the loop to use for your tie-off point for your support lines
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Looks like REI has taken the product material descriptions off their site. Only basic specs are showing.
    Are you using tubular webbing or flat webbing? Tubular would be much better for hanging.
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    Its is tubular. I shot an email to Blue Water but they never replied. My guess is that it is polyester because I don't notice much sag. Cheap is webbing is, if there is something better I'm willing to get it. I want light as possible. Thanks Rockdawg.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Chances are that if you got webbing that is made for use with any mountaineering or rock climbing application, whether tubular or flat, that it's nylon. I can't promise you this, but in my experience, webbing made for those applications have a certain amount of stretch or give to them in case of falls. If you're not 100% positive if it's nylon or polyester, run the webbing or a sample thereof to Inner Peaks over on Monroe Rd. They can help you out for sure.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Another option is to look at the slings and webbing at Strap Works. They have stuff in polyester and seat-belt polyester and can make about anything you would want as a custom order - http://www.strapworks.com/
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Stock
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle/Strap
    Blue Water tubular or flat webbing is made of nylon.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tubular webbing is almost certainly nylon. Remember the stretch of nylon is proportional to its used length. So if the nylon has a stretch factor of 33% Then a 3 foot used length would stretch a maximum of 1' under maximum load. 6' length would stretch 2' under maximum load. So if the webbing suspension is short and the tubular webbing is highly rated for maximum load (and it usually is) the stretch factor may not be noticable in your application. But if you were to have to go to the whole 12' length on each end to hang you could be looking at a substantial stretch factor that would put you on the ground before morning. the good thing is the stretch would be gradual rather than swift and catastrophic so you probably wouldn't get hurt. The bad news is you went to a hammock to get off the ground.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    Thanks guys! I've looked at the polyester and seatbelt style webbing at strapworks. Will either of these be lighter than my current nylon tublar? And which is better for hammocks, seat belt or polyester and which of these two would be lighter? Thanks so much. After some hanging I do see the stretch now. Plus my nylon seems to absorb a ton of water when it rains.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Goto a big box store and get some orange or blue tie down straps given the store you shop. cut the hooks off the end and attach a biner. problem solved and no shipping and under 15bucks. Ive been hanging on depot straps since I converted to ring buckles.

The climbing webbing(tubular) Ive used for top rope applications is always dynamic to cushion the fall. Happy Hanging

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast