Need help with down

I need some help with buying down.

1: best place to buy
    2: how much do I need for an uq, how much do I need for a vest, how much do I need for a hat.

3: I see some being sold by the 1/4lb but I have no clue how much a 1/4 lb of X-fill power down will fill.

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    1) Some places offer great bulk, others good, smaller portions. Places I look at: Ripstopbytheroll and Wildernesslogics. More people will chime in.
    You can also repurpose old down by tearing into old puffer jackets, comforters, and pillows for cheap.

2) Depends on the loft you wish to achieve and the fill power you'll be using.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nt-Spreadsheet

3) Ask them, or otherwise don't buy it; if you can't read up on the specs of something, IMHO, don't bother buying it.

Cool. I didn't see the down at ripstopbytheroll when I ordered my mats for the backpack om making. Ill go check em out again! Any idea where to get old puffer jackets?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Wilderness Logics still has the best deal for down at retail that I've found. I'm sure that if you're wanting to go into business for yourself, you can get better deals when you order 100 lbs+ of the stuff, but I've yet to find anywhere that sells 850+ FP down for cheaper by the ounce. (Note that this doesn't include the possibility of tearing apart another down-filled item for recycling of the down; that's more work than I want to do.)

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Fill power is how many cubic inches one ounce will occupy at full loft. So, 4 oz of 800 fill will expand to ~3200 cu. in. So, you need to take the quilt calculator and figure out what the volume of you quilt will be, divide that by the fill power you will be using and that will determine the amount you will need. So, basically the higher the fill power, the less the down will weigh per volumetric unit.

Downlinens has an excellent selection of different grades of down and very good prices.
    http://www.downlinens.com/products/premium-washed-down
    They sell by the pound and cover shipping.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Wildernesslogics sells 850FP down in 1oz packages, and have free shipping on orders over $100. So, if you're building a top and bottom out of down, it may be a good option for you. http://www.wildernesslogics.com/850-...n-850-Down.htm

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackspyre View Post
    Any idea where to get old puffer jackets?
    Anywhere you can get used clothing. Yard sales, thrift shops, charity stores. Old people.

Do make sure it either shows the fill power or the ratio of down/feathers. I've had good luck with 70/30 or 80/20 down/feather ratios.

Well, it will soon be winter so no yardsales (sad panda), but thrift stores should be stocking up on winter supplies. Thanks for the idea! I hadnt thought to look locally; I was only looking online.

Sorry for the double post... just found out there is a goodwill outlet store right near me! They usually sell stuff by the pound. Very excited!

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/bar...ill_Outlet.htm

• + New Posts