Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    And why would you want to stay at a shelter?
    I don't. I just know there are certain parts of the trail where you are supposed to stay in the shelters. It seems thats only in the smokeys though now that I'm learning more.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I would go over to Whiteblaze.net, from whence we're sprung. Don't get me wrong, we're crazy happy to help and not only with hanging, but I think you'll be able to search and find anything you're wondering about over there real easy.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    That sounds like a lot of fun, Wes. I've always wanted to do that, but the wife only allows me 4 days max. Maybe when the kids are a bit older I can have a week. Have fun!

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammacker View Post
    That sounds like a lot of fun, Wes. I've always wanted to do that, but the wife only allows me 4 days max. Maybe when the kids are a bit older I can have a week. Have fun!
    For sure! I didn't ask the wife's permission. Lol. I said, "I'm doing a week a year. You can go if you want." Went over better than expected. Haha

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WesArnold View Post
    So I've read that a lot of people call ahead and register at shelters ahead of time. What happens when they're full? What options do you have then?
    I wouldn't recommend sleeping in the shelters on the AT, they are not that comfortable. Just sleep in your hammock.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters dbl
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    20* bag / pad
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    The AWOL guide is great as is the AT Companion. I used the companion to follow along with my dad's progress, posting updates as needed. You need a permit for the Smokies and it is only good for a certain period of time once you get it (10 days?). Camping is only at designated areas. Don't worry about the other shelters. If they are full, there is plenty of tent or hammock space nearby. Not all shelters are the same too. I was a frequent lurker on White Blaze before I found this place.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
    I wouldn't recommend sleeping in the shelters on the AT, they are not that comfortable.
    I second using the shelters only as Plan B. I found the very active rodent community to be very off-putting in the AT shelters. That, more than the hard floors, is really what made them uncomfortable for me.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I highly recommend Joyce and Sally's shuttle service
    Very nice ladies. I have used them in the past.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    What's the "ballpark" estimate for the shuttle services? Do they go by the mileage? How does it work?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    IMHO (for what it's worth) your looking at the big picture instead of the individual colors of the picture. Let me explain. You stated that you have only done 1 to 3 night trips (similar to how I started). I as well want to thru hike / section hike the whole trail. Instead of trying to wrap my brain around how to hike 2,000 miles. I started off with 1-2 day trips, then 3-4 night trips then seven night trips up to a 30 day trip where I thru hiked the long trail. This was a 2 year learning experience and am still learning. The point to my ramblings is instead of trying to start off with the big picture in mind start off by coloring in the pieces. Such as doing some research on a section that interest you go out and hike it for however long you have. I started off by hiking some of the easier sections of the AT and worked my way to the harder ones. The issue with section hiking only 7 days or so out of the year is you never achieve getting into thru hiker shape. This will make every section difficult (in theory some are easier then others) and unless you are a daily runner it limits the mileage you can hike per trip. Trying to section hike the trail 7 days at a time over the years is going to require lots of money and traveling epically if you try and piece it toogether in order. As for data books, AWOL is a good one, the AT data guide is also good and each section has their individual books and maps as well. You can also down load it from some where. Also when I started off I choose sections that had easy bail out opportunities and plenty of water. My body was not in shape to start at Springer and deal with the ups and down. I would cover such little mileage I chose falter sections so I was able to hike further. Obviously HYOH no one size fits all so you know what works best for you so a lot of it is going to be trial and error. Good luck on your hikes I hope my ramblings helped.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast