Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest

Tree selection for hammock

This was my first Summer of backpacking with a hammock. I hiked seven weeks on the AT and one on the Colorado trail and love the comfort of my hammock.
    I was quite concerned with how to safely choose the trees from which to hang. I have had close calls with lightning in years gone by so reduced risk for lightning is always a consideration for me. Whenever possible I chose trees that were significantly lower than the tree canopy. I also avoided large trees since my thinking was that if they were diseased and fell, a small tree would be much safer. I did use some trees that flexed under my weight but none were damaged. Early in my trip I was a little concerned that a tree would come down but with experience that concern mostly evaporated.
    What considerations do you give to tree selection assuming that safety from lightning and safety from a falling tree are considerations. Do you give any consideration to these concerns or am I being overly cautious.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Welcome to the forums Richard.

It sounds like you've thought through your lightning concerns and selected your trees accordingly. When it comes to tree selection, I can't say I've ever really given lightning much consideration. I usually hang in densely wooded areas, so there are a lot more targets for the lightning to choose from than my hammock/me.

I have had experience with falling branches. Here in Oz, every hiker knows that you never camp under a big eucalyptus tree if you can help it. They will sometimes drop dead branches in even a slight breeze. We call these trees "widowmakers".

I usually hang from thinner trees and check them out thoroughly for dead branches, especially if it's windy. Even a small dead branch could totally mess with your ki in a hammock.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

I like to keep an eye out for widow-makers (dead branches in the tree). I try to NOT hang on a ridge. I like to find a spot on the leeward side of the hill, slope, mountain, etc. I have seen a lot more lightning struck trees on ridges than on the slopes or down in the valley.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    This was my first Summer of backpacking with a hammock. I hiked seven weeks on the AT and one on the Colorado trail and love the comfort of my hammock.
    I was quite concerned with how to safely choose the trees from which to hang. I have had close calls with lightning in years gone by so reduced risk for lightning is always a consideration for me. Whenever possible I chose trees that were significantly lower than the tree canopy. I also avoided large trees since my thinking was that if they were diseased and fell, a small tree would be much safer. I did use some trees that flexed under my weight but none were damaged. Early in my trip I was a little concerned that a tree would come down but with experience that concern mostly evaporated.
    What considerations do you give to tree selection assuming that safety from lightning and safety from a falling tree are considerations. Do you give any consideration to these concerns or am I being overly cautious.
    Welcome to the forum Richard...

You raise some interesting & helpful thoughts... I new here & to hammocks so thanks for raising these questions...

Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    I have had experience with falling branches. Here in Oz, every hiker knows that you never camp under a big eucalyptus tree if you can help it. They will sometimes drop dead branches in even a slight breeze. We call these trees "widowmakers".
    I have noticed that Sycamore trees do the same... I have several large sycamore trees in my yard (60 acres) and there are always several branches on the ground around these trees, especially after wind or thunderstorms...

Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    I like to keep an eye out for widow-makers (dead branches in the tree). I try to NOT hang on a ridge. I like to find a spot on the leeward side of the hill, slope, mountain, etc. I have seen a lot more lightning struck trees on ridges than on the slopes or down in the valley.
    Good advice here too... thanks

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I really like Douglas Fir but since I'm often along rivers sometimes settle for Red Alder.

In the high country I'm usually stuk with Sub Alpine Fir which is often very sappy-stikie and in loose to tight krumholtz form.

Avoid widow-makers and dead trees.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Images
    If there is an option, I take the smallest trees that will support me with out flexing a lot. For all the reasons you state. But sometimes you have to take what you can get. Around here, I have to work hard to avoid Poison Ivy vines, and that really cuts down my choices.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I don't like the long needle southern pine trees. they tend to have sap on the tree bark, sap falling from above and if you put stakes in the ground, you get sap on them too. Some times I just have no other trees but these sooo I make do.
    Always look above you and check for dead branches. Around here I've got to check for squirrels nests too, you do not want your hammock under their nest.
    Do not hang from dead trees!!! And do not string up your hammock beween two trees that has a animal trail going between them!! Even if the two trees are absolutly the prettyest, best spaced, fantastic view of all the other trees!!!!
    Watch out for poisen oak/ivy. I've had to use trees that had that, just be very careful if you're not allergic. If you are, then don't use those trees.
    Don't pick the tallest trees!!!

Images
    At the end of my first ever hammock trip, we were trying to make camp at Big Sandy Lake in WY's Wind Rivers. After a truly exhausting day of boulder hopping over a high pass. Even the young bucks were clearly wasted. And we were at the (probably) only spot where competition for good sites existed, unlike the rest of our trip. Because this was a weekend day at a site with spectacular peaks and lake, and close (6.2 mi) to the number one trailhead in the range. So most good sites were taken.

Of course, all we had to do was hike another 1/2 mile toward the trail head to once again have every thing to ourselves, but the Sun was setting and we just wanted to crash ASAP at our intended stop for the day. So the two tenters found about the only level ground without rocks/roots( turned out it was neither, leading to a miserable night) while the two hangers tried to find trees not too close, not to far, and not a widow maker or real close to one. A real challenge!

Finally, we had four trees we were willing to accept. But as we went to tie up to one, we saw it: fur, about head height and higher. And the worst part: it had that "grizzled" appearance. So we tried to decide- was it a moose, or a bear and if so a Griz? Or possibly a horse? Regardless, we were not going to hang from it there was a possibility it was some Griz's fav back scratcher. I managed to find another two trees that were at least some yards from that one, though I had my HH tarp foot end ( with the small HH tarp) into the wind off of the lake a few feet away. My friend found two other trees, but it turned out they were really too close for a proper hang and he did not sleep comfortably as he had on the previous 4 or 5 nights. My tarp flapped maddeningly in the wind. But once I finally stopped imagining every tarp flap was the bear coming to his fav back scratching post, I slept like a rock and didn't wake up until every one else was up and ready to go.

But as if poison Ivy vines don't ruin enough trees for hang purposes, at least around here, I also will pass up bear scratching posts. But, that's just me!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-11-2009 at 10:44.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I like bigger trees. 50 mph wind and flexible trees equals a really noisy and hard to catch tarp. Actually being in the hammock wasn't so bad... in retrospect maybe I should have taco'd the tarp around the hammock.

My next investment will be a hammock overcover. Who's making those for the Blackbird, again?

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Thanks for the replies.
    I found that in windy conditions, earplugs effectively mute the sound of a noisy tarp and the swaying of the hammock sends me to sleep.
    I had not paid much attention to weak limbs on a tree, more attention to whether the tree was healthy looking with foliage. With the smaller trees that I mostly used there were no sizeable limbs. I will certainly pay attention to whether there are weak limbs if I find it neccesary to hang from a larger tree.
    Again thanks for the replies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast