Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images

Kelty 9 and a 11 ft hammock- wet UQ or dry with this set up....pls advise

ok, I have a new 11' hammock, which runs around a 109" ridgeline. I have a Kelty Noah 9 tarp which has @ 144" diagonal (that's 9'x9', but its Cantenary cut). In theory I have 144"-109"= 35", which when you divide that by 2 means I have almost 1.5' of coverage. The cut of this tarp is what has me worried. Its not square. What do you think? Will I be covered or wet with this type of set up?

Lets assume you think I'll be wet, what about adding real doors to this? what that work or should I jump and get a WB Superfly?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I haven't owned this tarp, but used a Grand Trunk Funky Forest tarp that had to be hung on the diagonal. I found it didn't do well in blowing precipitation. For that matter, it didn't do well in wind at all. So much air can get under a tarp hung in a diamond config.

I'd skip the doors and go straight to the SuperFly, unless you just have fabric laying around. I actually made Grizz Beaks out of Tyvek, and they worked fine but were bulky.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    IMHO use what you have for now you should be fine

save up and get the superfly though

try pitching diagonal then the first set of tie outs you come to from that end pitch take some tie out lines and pull those down toward the ground and stake em or just tie in toward each other ? should close in the ends quite a bit if you get more sideways rain coming in again use what you have till you can afford the superfly
    Last edited by ckmaui; 10-07-2014 at 18:12.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I thought about another option I may consider....pitching it as a square with 4.5' on each side...and 9' coverage over the hammock. I'll add my poncho on the short end...and strap it down, essentially creating a larger tarp. its a little bit red neck (I'm from TX, now a NM resident), but I think this will give me the best coverage for now. Thoughts? Issues? Advice?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    For an 11 ft. hammock you need a tarp with a minimum 11 ft. ridgeline. The poncho solution is just not gonna cut it, in my opinion - prepare to get wet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    square wont cover as much diagonal you should be fine that is plenty of overhang

Images
    The RL on a HH Explorer UL is 108", and the long diagonal spec for the tarp it comes with is 140".

Many people over the years report staying dry in big storms, but I have always had a hard time picturing it. Especially in blowing sideways rain and especially if an UQ is hanging down even lower. However, I find this tarp used with the HH Super Shelter's sil-nylon undercover to be about the most storm proof system I have.

So, while waiting for a bigger tarp, consider taking a couple of garbage bags(nice and redneck!) and poking small holes through their bottoms. Then run your suspension through the holes. If it really comes a big blow, pull those garbage bags over the foot and head end of your hammock. These are the most vulnerable parts, and the bags will act like a partial under/over cover, or sock, sort of. You may get some condensation but that might be better than a wind driven deluge.

Images
    A 12x12 Kelty Noah is only 69bucks at REI or Cableas. You can do a lot with a 12x12. I've seen some guys even do doors with all the tieouts.

• + New Posts