DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Overnight in Linville Gorge - August 10 & 11

Jim de Friess, Michael Hollar (Hawk-Eye on HF) and myself made an over night trip into Linville Gorge Monday and Tuesday for a little trail work and camping. When planning this, we didn't know these would be two of the hottest days of the summer so far. We left the Babel Tower trailhead about 9am and headed down. The sun was already heating up the western side of the gorge and we
    were fully exposed at times. Since it was so warm, trail work was limited to clipping the worst of the summer growth back on Babel Tower. After intersecting the Linville Gorge trail we followed it to the river and made our way approximately one more mile south to a camp Jim had used once before. Actually it was a very old camp that had not been used in recent years. I didn't see much way anyone could have tent camped there on the rocky hillside between the LGT and the river. It worked well for hammocks though. We spread out up and down the hillside between the river and the trail, and dubbed it "Hobo Camp".

All photos by Mike Hollar (Hawk_Eye)
    My Hennessy with Speer tarp and light summer diy UQ.

Michael's site just above the river:

Jim's diy setup:

A little camp banner I made before the trip:

Turns out we were right across the river from an often talked about hole in the rock, scoured out by water action ages ago. There are two of these
    in the area, and others in the process of being created. This hole is between 4 and 5 feet in diameter.

Here's a photo of Fantasy Wall and West Face Rock taken from the LGT:

We had a great trip. I only wish it could have been longer, and maybe a bit cooler. Overnight temps were probably no lower than about 65 degrees by early morning.

Molly Mac Pack
    I was again carrying one of MacEntyre's prototype MMPs. Even though I'm not an experienced backpacker, this worked very well for me, and was my first time using it for other than daytrips doing trail work. The load for this trip was just under 30 lbs. and I had no difficulties with the pack.

Mac, thanks again for the use of the pack. I sure hope you're able to keep up with the orders!!

The trip out on Tuesday was a long slow grind in the heat. We did some work along the way, but took our time, and several breaks due to the heat.
    On the ridge at the intersection of the LGT and Babel Tower Trails there was a nice cooling breeze from the north. Needless to say, we took a nice break there before the climb to the road up Babel Tower.

Michael at the junction:

Jim moving along the LGT:

Good trip with good friends in awesome wilderness. Can't beat it.

Kudos to:
    MacEntyre for the use of his Molly Mac Pack.
    Michael and Jim for the good company.
    Marion Wright and John D. Rockefeller for seeing that this wilderness was preserved.
    www.hammockforums.net for a wealth of knowledge.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken; 08-12-2009 at 15:12.
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

• + New Posts