Just a quick review on a great trip over the Columbus Day Weekend!

I did this 23mi loop counter-clockwise a year or two ago, but decided to start at the Upper River Rd TH and go clockwise, completing the NCT side first.

I got in around 9:30PM and hiked a short distance, maybe 1 mile, to set up and get some sleep. Around midnight I heard some voices and assumed I was dreaming. About 30 minutes later I still heard voices and noticed some lights moving in the distance. I couldn’t believe it! Of all this space and time someone practically camped right on top of me! I woke up around 7:30am and walked about 60 yards down the hill to meet my noisy neighbors. There were 5 of them; a really nice group also from Indiana. We had some breakfast, talked for a bit then I was on my way.

The fall colors were amazing! I spent a good deal of time taking photos, but still made it to Eddington Creek in about 3 hours. I was tempted to stay the night in the pines nearby, but it was just too early in the day and firewood was a little weak. Plus, this place seemed like it would catch fire with just a spark.
So I continued over the bridge and set up camp after a few more miles. I set up my hammock right on the river in a nice hidden place for a snack, then moved into the woods for the night.

I was a little disappointed over the next few miles. Apparently NOONE knows how to follow the rules. I passed at least 8 groups camped RIGHT on the river, usually not more than 20’ away. These were not the designated campsites. Camp back 200’ people!!! Don’t give them a reason to deny backcountry camping, charge fees, or worse. If you can’t follow simple rules, stay home.

Long story short, I hiked another 9 miles or so the next morning and instead of going home, I stopped about 4 miles short of my car. I did some serious bushwacking/exploring for about 2 hours and found a most amazing spot ever! Actually, several spots that I’ll need to revisit another time. I cooled my feet in the creek, filtered water, and relaxed for a bit.

The next morning, I woke up around 8AM and moved with a purpose anxious to get home.

First night: 31°
Second night: 29°
Third night: 44°

Base Weight: 17.05lb
Max Start Weight (including food & 2liters water): 24.36lb

Sorry for the lack of details...I need to get going!