Hello Hammock forum,
I am in the middle of considering making the move to underquilts for an upcoming canoe trip. I will be in a moist environment and will be hitting, at the absolute lowest, high twenties. It is more likely that I will not see anything lower than low thirties. I will have a full pad and a ground set up if it gets really cold.

At the moment I think I will be making a 5oz apex climashield 3/4 length underquilt from www.ripstopbytheroll.com. But with the amount it will cost I am debating going all the way and getting a down underquilt. Specifically http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/greylock-3/. I will also have a 3/4 pad for my feet.

I know there are plenty of threads about synthetics vs down and I'm pretty sure I've read them all. What stuck with me is that climashield doesn't seem to be as inferior to down as people like to believe:
1) It seems like they are very similar in weight
2) The compressability of climashield is acceptable
3) Climashield can be abused more and isn't as sensitive to dampness
4) As a huge plus to me, even though I do have the money for down, climashield is cheaper

Is there a comfort or ease of setup that down underquilts have over synthetic? Do any of you who have both still use your synthetic? Is the compressibility of climashield as bad as people express?

Finally, as I know this is a long post, will a single layer of 5oz be suitable for these temperatures? My thoughts were that as most underquilts are 44" in width I can use the extra width on the 60" sheets to add insulation to the places that need it. (the extra 16" running diagonally where your body should lay).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will of course be reading everybody's comment.