I wanted to report on a configuration I used last weekend with some success. Although the weight and bulk of the system may be limiting, it was functional and I thought I'd toss it out there for those looking for options using gear they already have.

I spent last weekend trying to get through a 30 mile hike in NH. The weather was against us (cold rain the first day, sub 20* weather at altitude with 70 mph gusts, low visability, frozen rain and snow) but I got a lot of "on the job" experience with the hammock.

For my hammock setup, I took 2 sleeping bags (0* for tq and 20* uq) my hh ultralight, and supershelter. I setup the hammock and ss as usual (with SB over the ocf pad) but used the 20* bag as an uq; below the ocf pad but in the UC. I tied garda hitches to each end of the 20* bag and sent them through the UC and TC and attached them with prussics to the suspension lines. Before I got in the hammock, I made sure the bag was spread out, got in and used my 0* inside.

I have to say I was warm and cozy all night in 20* temps and it was quite blustery to say the least (the gusts rocked me into a deeper sleep all night). I wore a heavy pair of hiking socks, polypro thermals, down vest, shell, and skull cap.

Again, this setup meant carrying 2 bags which made my pack heavier and bigger than I would have liked. I wanted to make sure I was covered in case of unexpected weather (it was suppossed to be clear and seasonal all weekend; you never know what you're going to get in the high country of NH) so I took the extra bag. I am certainly looking for a lighter, smaller alternative to this setup, that won't break the bank, but I thought I'd relate the experience so others in my situation can go ahead and hang with the gear they have.

Disclaimer: I tryed this setup in my back yard a couple nights before I left so I had an idea of it's potential. I recommend that anyone taking this advice, or any advice on this site, to do the same. Everyon'es comfort levels are different and the least surprises in the field the better.

Cheers