Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You'd get along well with Genuine Draft. She feels bad every time she crawls into one of her quilts. However, they aren't going to ban down products because people are using them improperly. Many areas already ban hammock usage, because of people abusing trees and such. There is a difference. It may be a thin line, but it's there.

Again, I have no issues with putting screws, bolts, nails, etc into trees around the yard. But, when you advertise these things in an area with backpacking tents, sleeping pads, and tarps within 10', you ARE NOT targeting the backyard user. You are targeting the camper/hiker. Simple as that.
    They should have a picture on the package showing it screwed into a post, along with some text saying "do not use on/damage damage trees other than on your land...... do not use on public land or parks".

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm boycotting boycotting. The word is sexist. How come there are not girlcotts?

Just a little humor to help put people back in a Hammock Forums mood.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I am as LNT as the next guy but this might just be for backyard use and leaving straps on a tree for a long time probably does more harm than good.

We tap trees every year for sap. You drill as far away from last years hole that you can. Trees are fine.

I do see the point of this being in REI and some bozo might buy it thinking to use that eyebolt on camping trips.

A touching but firm letter to the REI PR department should take care of it quickly.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I'm boycotting boycotting. The word is sexist. How come there are not girlcotts?

Just a little humor to help put people back in a Hammock Forums mood.
    hahaha. i like that

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Making comparisons between eye-bolts and weapons is absurd.

not really!! You can put an eye out with an eye-bolt!!!
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think we can all agree that the pictured item is for backyard use only...clearly not for LNT or backpacking use.

If Cannibal (or anyone else) wants to discuss the details of how it is marketed with Byer or their retail outlets...why is that a 'joke' or worthy of scorn?

Making comparisons between eye-bolts and weapons is absurd.
    the comparisons with weapons was a bit much but still on target as it was an example of something marketed one way and used another thats all it was meant as.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    the comparisons with weapons was a bit much but still on target as it was an example of something marketed one way and used another thats all it was meant as.
    This thread isn't about using a product against it's advertised use...but instead the opposite. They actually seem to be marketing it (if mistakenly) wrongly. It seems right to bring that to their attention.

And doing so is in the long term best interest of all of us that hammock.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Tomsawyer you are missing the entire point, and your analogies are weak straw men at best...

As soon as tent people start having rangers freaking out about them putting stakes in the ground, your stake analogy might hold some water. Hammocks are banned from many places, and some idiot buying these things and jamming them into a tree in a state park might just be enough to get them banned in one more place.

If you want an eye bolt and cheap carabiner, you can go to Home Depot and buy one - I agree with Cannibal, these things have absolutely no place being sold at a store like REI, or being sold by a hammock manufacturer period.

(unless that manufacturer is selling gigantic rope hammocks with spreader bars, that have just about zero chance of ever being taken into a park)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    not really!! You can put an eye out with an eye-bolt!!!
    That's true.

They don't seem to be advertising that as an intended use, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If someone has already stated the obvious here, simply skip this post.

But I don't really think that Cannibal has anything to be concerned about.

The average hiker may not read directions, but they do carry what they use. I can just see the hiker getting ready for a hike and considering a 1 week hike, 6 nights. That will require 12 eye bolts plus whatever tool they are going to need to set the eye bolts. I can see the hiker buying 12 eye bolts from Lowes or Home Depot and then putting those eye bolts in their pack. They then decide that they can really use just 2 rather than 12. The first night out they set the eye bolts. How long do you think that will take? 30 minutes. Add another 15 to 20 minutes the next morning to retrieve the eye bolts. I'll bet that hike is cut to 1 night real quick and the hammock gets delegated to some closet and quickly forgotten.

For car camping they don't have to carry the stuff, but they still going to have to set the eye bolts. That can get old very quickly.

I really have to give people a lot more credit to realize what they are going to have to do to use the eye bolts than Cannibal does.

I agree that a few may actually try to use them hiking, but I doubt that they use them more than once.

Agreed that the idea is dumb, but I also think that anybody who tries to use them camping will very quickly realize that the idea is dumb and get the same impression of the Byer products and Byer will be the biggest loser, not the trees.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast