Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

Backwoods Dreamer Winter Dream Tarp V.3 Prototype Report

When I decided to order a Backwoods Dreamer Winter Dream Tarp, I wanted the V.2 but I didn't like the mitten hooks. I emailed asking Scott to leave them off, thinking I would create my own closure for maximum privacy if anything besides a simple overlap was needed. Scott shared his plans for an alternate closure using snaps. I decided to wait for that mod and asked if I purchase the prototype. Here it is. I wanted to sleep under the tarp to put the system through a proper field test at least one cold night before sharing my reactions. Last night was a cold, clear night - mid 20 degrees F., with little wind so no severe conditions test yet.

I like the plastic snaps in the early review. They are small, hold well yet were easy enough to close and open. I was able to insert my hand between the panels above the top closed snap and run it down the whole line popping them open easily. ( I hate to do the puppy dance while fighting a closure system to exit when nature calls!) I certainly prefer the snaps over the mitten hooks, both for ease of use and because they close the gap between door panels much closer. I like their smooth profile. The only place not completely closed is at the peak, where the gap is good ventilation, and where the whoopie sling nudges the panel open a bit in this particular hang. I rigged the tarp for this backyard test with a very humble assortment of cords and strings. This prototype V.3 has metal D rings at the ridgeline ends. Scott reports that the new mods add 30 grams, under 1 oz to the tarp. Scott's construction is top notch as expected! Any decisions yet on what to call this version, Scott?

This is the first time I have tried rigging with the ridgeline above the tarp, and I like this method. It seemed to provide more flex in the tarp to make staking choices easier when I ran into a rock.

BTW: Don't believe the Permatex instructions that report it dries in one hour!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts