I am planning to do a loop backpacking trip around Linville Gorge starting Friday May 14th and ending Sunday the 16th.

The trip will cover about 22-25 miles. I am planning an easy pace to allow for plenty of sightseeing and picture taking, but a lot of the trails are officially listed as "Most Difficult".

So far, MacEntyre has signed on to join me. Others would also be welcome.

Actual meeting time and place are yet to be determined, but I'll keep this thread up to date when things are finalized.

Tentative plans would be to meet at the Spence Ridge trailhead, head down Spence to the Linville River, head south on Linville Gorge Trail, pick up Leadmine Trail to the Mountains to Sea Trail, take the MST north past Tablerock Mountain and connect back up with Spence to get back to the cars. Or, just the opposite, going clockwise around the Gorge.

Either way, I want to spend one night down at the river and one night somewhere on the MST.

There's a good chance I might hang around(pun intended) for another night or two, either before or after these dates.

Backcountry permits are required for weekend camping in the wilderness area, but they are free. Thanks for the reminder Hawk-eye.

If anyone is interested, sound off.

Jerry