Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum; figured I'd come out of the shadows. I've been spending the last several months slowly getting my gear together & organized, with the objective of being equipped for 3 or 4 day hiking trips. Have been on several test hangs in state parks, & I'm just about happy enough with my setup to get the remaining main piece, a new backpack. I didn't want to chuck out the cash for one until I knew what would be in it.

This forum has been an incredible resource. The main reason I haven't posted yet is that it is so good, the answer to just about any question I could come up with was already here. And, I have to say, the community spirit of this place is like none I have seen on any other forum, on any subject (and I lurk a lot of forums; I'm an info junkie).

If I can swing some vacation time in May, I want to try to make it up to Meriwether, provided that it is still on, and is open to all comers, so if someone wants to chime in on what to bring, other than me and my hammock (communal food, cash, is it a hike in vs. drive up and unload sort of deal), feel free to set me straight.

My larger goal is to spend some time in the Sipsey, and would be interested in going with folks with more backpacking experience (most of my camping has been in state parks & other semi-tame locations), so anyone in the North Alabama/TN area who wants to snicker at a hammock noob in the woods, your opportunity has arrived.