This is my first post on this forum and I'm fairly new to hammock camping. I have a couple hammocks (an ENO doublenest that I love and a HH expedition ultralight that I don't) that I've logged a few nights in. Where we live in PA it's often very hard to find a piece of ground without rocks to pitch a tent. So, I'm thinking of moving the whole family (4 kids and 2 adults) into hammocks for backpacking. The kids are 10, 8, 4, and 3, so they don't take up much room and I was thinking about having them share hammocks. The problem with the kids is that they even move around more than adults and I have no confidence that they would stay on sleeping pads.

I've looked a bit at some hammocks that had two layers to be able to put a pad in between the layers. I'd like to try and make a couple lightweight and cheap double hammocks. I've never made a hammock before and don't know where to start. I've looked at the tutorial above and think that I could do it. However, I've never actually seen a double layer hammock and am not sure how to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions?