Does anyone still use these?

I have not seen this kind of lightweight hammock around lately anywhere.

I do not remember how good they were, but I do remember being in a plastic one the day Elvis Presley decided to go into hiding.

I was in my mid to late teens and camping near a lake and because I managed to procure a six pack of beer, I stupidly got into the hammock with a paring knife in my back pocket with the blade sticking out wherein it cut some strands and promptly I fell through.

I had the knife because I was using it to open the thumb cutter punch-in beer tops.

Right after this devastating event the news came on the transitor radio about the Elvis departure from the public.

Bummer day.

Anyway, he has been a hero of mine ever since I heard he did not like what was on TV and then proceeded to blast the offending sewer box with a sizable revolver.

So does anyone still use the Gilligan's Island style hammock for camping anymore?

I really do not remember if they were comfortable or not. So far the most comfortable type I have used have been made from heavy canvas.

I think I might want one for ultralight warm weather camping trips if they are really light, but I am considering an inexpensive Grand Trunk for a full coverage hammock and regular camping.

I might want to make my own in a gill net fashion. What would be a good lightweight cord medium? Paracord or something else?

Thanks for any replies.