I like to sit in my hammock and read at night. In the past I normally use larger headlamps like my Black Diamond Zenix. It had a few disadvantages when used as hammock lighting. I attached it to my ridge line by looping it over itself and letting it hang there. If I did this it was almost impossible to point the head lamp where I needed it if I were reading. If I wore it on my head to read the battery pack on the back was really uncomfortable. It's also pretty heavy with batteries and would blind me if I accidentally shined it in my eyes.

A few months ago I picked up the Petzel e+Lite (see demo video). It's the best head lamp I've owned, to date. I has 3 ultrabright LEDs and 1 red LED. Weighs 27 grams including battery. I bought mine from Ebay for about $24 shipped. It has an elastic band with a cord lock that allows you to use it as a head lamp or strap it to your wrist. The lamp portion swivels 360* to put the light anywhere you need it. One of the best features is the integrated clip that allows me to clip the head lamp to clothing or a hat or you can clip it directly to the ridge line of my hammock:

Petzel e+Lite Specs (from Petzel site):
Long-term dependability, even when kept for years in harsh conditions

* functions in extreme temperatures: -30 °C to +60 °C,
* always ready for use: can be stored with batteries for up to 10 years and still be operational,
* waterproof down to -1 m,
* protective case included,
* can be used in potentially explosive atmospheres (see specifications for certification level),
* compact and ultra-lightweight (27 g), there's no excuse not to carry it where ever you go,
* designed to prevent accidental operation with locking switch.

Performance lighting

* Shines enough light to allow easy movement in the dark: shines up to 19 m,
* provides up to 4 consecutive nights of lighting (45 hours),
* easy to use,
* strobe signaling mode.

Practical

* Can be worn on the head, around the wrist or neck or attached to thin-edged objects with integrated clip,
* light beam can be aimed where needed: light source swivels 360°,
* red light beam helps preserve night vision.

10-year guarantee.
Certification

* 3 white LED and 1 red LED.
* Uses CR2032 lithium batteries (included).
* Waterproof down to -1 m. weight : 27 g with batteries.
* 2 lighting levels: economic and maximum.
* White and red strobe mode.
* Clip attachment system and removable elastic headband.
* Light source rotates 360° on ball and joint.
* 10-year guarantee
Once the e+Lite clipped to the ridge line you can point the light anywhere it's needed and it provides ample light for inside the hammock. I will normally clip it on the ridge line behind my head and point it toward my feet. When it's located behind My head I don't get the blinding light shining directly into my eyes. It has 2 levels of brightness, but the low setting is perfect for the inside of the hammock. The red LED is also nice for those late night bathroom breaks. It doesn't blind me.

Another option is the BookOwl reading light. I picked this up at my local book store for about $8. It's also really light. I simply wrap the flexible neck of the light around the ridge line and point the light exactly where it's needed:

The BookOwl uses a single white LED so it doesn't give off the amount of light that the e+Lite does but it is adequate for reading and general light requirements. It does not function well as a headlamp for walking around at night but you can also clip it to your clothing of lighting stuff up that's not to far away. Since the light output is not that great, it's basically a single use item that I used inside the hammock, but it's cheap as dirt and weighs next to nothing so I can't really complain.

Here's a pic of the BookOwl and the Petzel side by side for comparison:

What do you guys use for hammock lighting?