OK, I'm ready to take the plunge: I have experimented with whoopie slings for a week in my back yard (6-7 nights) and have now used them on 2 outings (4 nights). I'm convinced of their utility despite some minor drawbacks.

It took me an hour to make my first WS, mostly learning that darned locked-brummel eye splice. (I still get one part wrong half the time. Grrrr) I now feel confident to proceed.

Here's what I want to do: using a closed loop of Amsteel, I want to thread one end (doubled up) through the HH holes (just as if it was an end eye splice), and then pass the remaining end through a ring with a larkshead. Similar to what Grizz did here:

I will need to make the loop as small as possible so the ring is as close to the hammock as possible.

One question is: when making the loop, can i pass one end into the other with out a locking stitch?? i don't see how a Brummel would work in this application. A test loop seemed to work and i couldn't pull it apart, but that's not the same as hanging your body weight from it.

(Thanks in advance to Ken, Knotty, Grizz, and Opie for their prior instruction and wisdom)

~bill