one of 4
    Insulation
    IX UQ or custom UQ
    Suspension
    webbing+dyneema
    Images

First hung with IX UQ in (damp) England

Hi all,
    Last weekend I had the opportunity to try out the IX UQ that MacEntyre made for me a few weeks back. We had the annual Scouts family camp in a wooded area in Surrey and I hung my hammock in the woods about 30 yrds away from the tents.
    Friday night was very damp and cold (it had been raining all day). The fog rolled in and at about 3am and I was very cold - I had to go in the tent until 6am when the sun came out. Temperature at 3am was about 11C (52F) - but it was the dampness that I couldn't stand. I used a lightweight 5C (40F) comfort temperature sleeping bag as an OQ, and I was wearing a undervest and a fleece, and a pair of track suit bottoms.

Next night I was joined by another of the dads who had a Hennessy Scout but felt a bit reluctant to hung it on the first night. Saturday was a lovely sunny, warm day so the woods were not so damp on Saturday night - the temp bottomed at 14c (58F) but I had a wonderful sleep until 8am on Sunday morning.

Lots of lessons learned - and next time it will be better! Also, lots of the dads are getting interested and the Explorer's leader is talking about a "camping without tents" events for his troupe.
    I was personally astonished by the quality of sleep I got - I know you guys talk about it, but I now *know* that sleeping in a hammock is really comfortable.

pics of my setup, with IX UQ and DIY mosquito net (that worked well). I have rolled the tarp over the ridge-line to show the setup:

(but I think that the IX UQ is not hung properly - it looks as it needs pulling up towards the shoulders a bit more)

My friend's Hennessy - it looks quite classy compared to my DIY effort :-(

both hammocks in the woods
    Last edited by seg1959; 06-14-2010 at 15:43.

• + New Posts