I've been contacted a few times by folks wanting to put together inexpensive Boy Scout Hammock kits. I thought I'd post all this information in one spot for others to use if they desire. If anybody has other suggestions on ways to get Boy Scouts off the ground, please feel free to add your thoughts.

Please keep in mind that this is not the best or only way to go about it. It's just the way I've done it.

Boy Scout Hammock Kits

Hammock Body – 120” x 60”(ish). I buy whatever nylon taffeta happens to be on sale at my local fabric outlet. Most of the time, they have a several choices in “outdoor friendly” colors. I usually end up paying .99 per yard. Buying 4 yards allows enough leftovers to make a stuff sack.
For instructions on building the hammock, see Knotty's post - Instruction: Gathered End Hammock

Ropes – 7/64” Amsteel (rated at 1600lbs.). I usually buy mine from Redden Marine online for $.20/ft. I usually use around 6ft per hammock. Shipping makes it approx .25/ft.

Rings – 1.25” steel rings. I usually get these rings at my local Tractor Supply or Rural King store. I think they're about .79 each. They are rated with a Safe Working Load (SWL) of 270lbs. I've never had any of these rings fail. I think that since they are used 2 per end, they are plenty strong.

Straps – 1” Nylon webbing. I bought this batch from an Army-Navy surplus store for $0.25 per foot. The nylon stretches and it's not the best option, but the price is right. The best straps I've found is the strapworks.com “Simple Sling”. I buy a 1”, 20ft. Sling for $10.80 and cut it into 2 pieces. I'm still looking for a better “cheap” option.

Tarp – 8' x 10' Camo Poly tarp from Rural King stores. They're $6.99 and sometimes out of stock. I just stop in every now and then to see if they have any. Couple times, I've had to use their 10' x 12' Camo poly tarp for $10.99. They almost always have the blue tarps, but they don't look as cool.

Tarp Stakes – Walmart sells a 4 pack of lightweight aluminum tent stakes for $2.00. I always keep a few of these around.

Tarp lines – Whatever lightweight cord I happen to have lying around. I usually put one 8' or 10' cord on each corner of the tarp.

Stuff Sack – fabric is leftovers from the hammock. Cordlock is from Walmart & costs $0.88 for a pack of 4. The string is whatever paracord I happen to have lying around.

Bug Net – I also make an optional bug net from no-see-um (like) fabric. I usually pickup some whenever I find it at my local fabric outlet. Tulle fabric can be purchased at Walmart or Joanne for approx $1.49 per yard, but that stuff is a little fragile for Scouts. My cost on the netting fabric & grosgrain ribbon ends up being approx $5.00.

Disclaimer – Some of the items used in this kit aren't the best materials that can be had & therefore should be thought of as a “Starter Kit”. Scouts should consider upgrading their straps, tarps, lines, etc. as they get into serious hammocking.

I would also suggest including (with his permission, of course) a copy of dejoha's excellent Illustration - Hammock Camping: The Basics with each kit.

Thanks
PapaSmurf