Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Jones Gap State Park- Sept. 17-19

Spent the weekend at Jones Gap State Park in the northwest corner of SC.
    Weatherman was calling for perfect weather and he nailed it. Nighttime temp was probably low 60s, high in the low 80s. We've had this weekend planned for months and it was intended to be my wife's maiden voyage sleeping overnight in a hammock. I went up on Friday and got both hammocks set up. Found a beautiful spot right by the Middle Saluda River.

She was coming up on Saturday, so I slept in her hammock Friday night, just to check for comfort. I didn't want to take the chance that she might get cold, so that's a Mt Washington4 underquilt on her Blackbird and a blue Snugfit under mine. Talk about overkill!
    I took a hike up to Rainbow Falls Saturday morning. It's 1.6 miles straight up to a really pretty waterfall, not a huge volume, but very high.

She arrived Saturday afternoon with our Chihuahua and some bad news. She was having back spasms and couldn't walk without it grabbing. She sat in the hammock but was afraid if she laid down, she wouldn't be able to get out of it. I fixed some spaghetti and we just relaxed by the river for a few hours and then she headed down the mountain for home.
    One son and his wife came up that afternoon as well, with their little Chihuahua pup. They set up a tent and life was good.
    Saturday night was just as nice as Friday. It was just cool enough that it felt good to snuggle under some down.
    Sunday morning, I was blessed with a lovely sight. Right after breakfast, a beautiful big Heron glided up the river and landed right in front of my campsite.

The kids wanted to see Rainbow Falls so I went a second time.

This was just a wonderful weekend. Momma didn't get to sleep in the hammock yet, but she's planning to make the group hang at Lake Jocassee in three weeks, so she'll get another chance.

swampfox
    Last edited by swampfox; 09-21-2010 at 21:55.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts