As the forum name suggests, I'm writing my introduction after my first night. But first, a quick introduction.
I was sold the instant I heard about hammock camping as I hate sleeping on the ground on my Ontario back-country camping and canoe camping trips. I purchased the Hennessey expedition as an intro and joined Hammock forums to get some questions answered.

My first night experience.
The weekend after my hammock arrived I tied it up between two Black Walnut trees in the forest behind my home. I couldn't believe how fast and easy it was to set up on the first try. I decided to leave it up and try sleeping in it that night - the temperature was supposed to drop to about 6c so I thought it would be a prefect opportunity!

That night I grabbed my sleeping back and mat and headed out to slumber. After half and hour of "A Bridge to Far" on my portable player I couldn't keep my eyes open so I tucked in for the night...already amazed at the comfort and warmth inside the hammock.

The first 'event' of the night took place in the minutes before sleep when a stubborn walnut that the squirrels had missed fell onto the taught tarp, jarring my awake until I guessed what the culprit had been. Soon again I was slipping into sleep.

I slept extremely well but was awoken again around 2:30am...I know what time it was because soon after being awoken I was in the house heading to my own familiar bed. I didn't take long to realize what had awoken me because the heavy 'sniffing' was coming from a snout that was prodding my left side. The coyotes that frequent the forest hadn't even come to mind as I was setting up...at 2:30am I remembered quite well. I grunted and clapped my hands to scare it away and heard the creature scamper off. I laid there quietly listening to hear if it had gone. I quickly heard the sniffing sound again on my right side. This time I put my flash light against the mesh and peered out to see a second coyote investigating a few feet away. I frightened this one in the same fashion and again waited a few minutes trying to decide what to do next. I was deciding that it was unlikely I would be able to fall back asleep when I heard the tell tale sound that the pack had found a rabbit some way off. If you've ever heard this sound it makes a pack of six or so coyotes sound like 20 hounds of hell. My mind was quickly made up and I slept soundly the rest of the night...in my bed.