Linville Gorge Hangout October 2010

2sticks, Rayn, and I arrived at the Gorge on Thursday morning. We met several HF members when we arrived. It was cool to put faces on forum names. 2sticks was pretty quiet but was soaking it all up. We decided to just base camp on Thursday and enjoy the day. There were already a lot of hammocks hanging so we spent some time finding a location to set 3 hammocks up. 2sticks and I set up our bridge hammocks close together. I hung the tarp in the high mode with my hammock not really covered. There was not room to hang a second tarp and I was not worried about it because I don’t mind seeing the stars. This made for an interesting night.

We decided to hike up to Hawksbill in evening. 2sticks was not feeling the best but we had a fairly quick hike up the mountain. The views were incredible and so was the wind. It would move you a couple feet when it would gust. 2sticks did not like this too much so we did not wait for sunset. She went down the mountain non-stop to base camp. The wind was not bad off the mountain.

We fixed supper and hung out around the fire. 2sticks loves to just listen and soak up the conversation.

We went to the hammocks around 10pm. The “hurricane” hit around midnight. I looked out of my swinging bridge hammock to literally see 2sticks higher than I was in her bridge hammock (Her hammock was much lower than mine to start with), Needless to say, 2sticks did not care much for this. I got up and re-positioned the tarp to cover her hammock with the edges close to the ground. This took care of the wind swinging the hammock but the noise was still very loud. I went to the ground for a little while under her tarp until she told me she was OK. Rayn was ready to let 2sticks and I get in the WBBB and he would use my bridge under 2sticks tarp. 2sticks told me to be quiet and get in my hammock. This left me under the stars and I think I earned my Gorge Rat patch. I would grab a tree (that was out of reach when still) every time I heard the wind train coming. It was like being in a storm at sea. It was kind of cool until the really big gusts would come. I was tied to a smaller tree that would bow in, then swing the other way. It was a good test of the Dutch Clips because those straps were taking a beating. Even without the tarp and the high winds I was very warm. The UQ and TQ blocked the wind much more than I expected. I saw that 2sticks had gone to sleep and proceeded to get plenty of sleep myself. Needless to say, the wind was the topic of discussion the next morning.

2sticks was still not feeling the best and the windy night experience was not helping. She was not sure if she wanted to go on an overnight hike to the river or not. Hawkeye invited us to go to breakfast at the famous Louise’s restaurant and this was just the ticket. The good company, good cooking, and even more important the good bathroom resulted in 2sticks feeling much better. When we got back she wanted to go to the water. Rayn, jbryan, 2sticks, and I packed up for an overnight trip.

We went down the Spence Ridge trail to the bridge that crosses the river. We continued on the Linville Gorge trail to campsite #16 or #17. It was right on the river and level with river so it made a great camp.

This time 2sticks and I used a Clark UL and a DIY hammock under the same tarp. We set up in a rock bowl and put the tarp low but the night ended up being very calm. We enjoyed the company of Rayn and jbryan for the evening and had a great nights sleep.

We hiked out the next morning. We met some more HF members in base camp. We had left 2sticks bridge hammock hanging in base camp. We took it down and Cooldays decided it was a good place to hang his hammock. Hope his night was calmer than ours in that spot! We hung out in base camp until about 4pm visiting with other HF members. 2sticks was worried about missing her Halloween activities the next day and was ready to go home.

I want to thank Hawkeye and everyone else that helped plan this hang. There was a city of hammocks in camp and everyone was great.

Sorry to miss the swedish candle and company at the campfire Saturday night but will see some of you at other hangs in the future. I want to get back to the Gorge and spend a few nights on the river.

Thanks again

hangnout & 2sticks

We spent more time enjoying the hang than taking video but here is some of our trip