I'm planning a 3 day hike from Davenport Gap to Clingmans Dome in April/May 2011. Sounds so far away!

However, like many of you, I've become an ardent fan of hammocks. I've got a HH that I really like and am working out how to really make myself comfy in it. On planning this trip, I'm learning that I have to register for and stay in shelters while in the Smokies (on the AT). There doesn't seem to be any campsites between shelters.

I chose hammocks because I don't like mice after some bad experiences in shelters in the past. I'd rather sleep good and not have to worry about anything crawling, scratching, running, chewing, *******g, etc. near me.

So, based on your experience, please tell me... is it possible to hammock in the Smokies on the AT? How did you "get away with it"? I'm not trying to break the law (and I don't want a fine) but I'm just wondering if it's possible.

I'm a big fan of LNT principles and we won't eat, cook or build a fire where we are hanging. It'll just be sleep time and then we are off.

Thanks,

Beaudetious