So I was doing some thinking today as I was driving around. My son had made mention that he wanted to build a "bug out pack" basically a survival kit but with a little more added. The ones I have built are done a little differently in case one needs to "bug out" when and if a Red Dawn moment happens. OK enough blabbering.

Currently I have a 10 x 10 syl tarps for protection/shelter etc (I have more included but it is not related to this topic, but still falls under the shelter category.) However I was thinking how practical a hammock would be instead of the dinky ground pad I have included. Weight is not such a factor in my survival kits and they tend to have more robust gear. So a simple and inexpensive hammock would definitely be better then sleeping on the ground.

But here is the slippery slope, yes hammocks are more comfy and can be pitched any where, but I have to take into consideration the thermal factor. So now instead of just a tarp and ground cloth/pad I have to take a UQ, and possibly other warmth items as well. I think given its a survival situation what I have provided for sleep warmth would still work. But its just the added bulk of the hammock and UQ and potential other items that I am concerned about.

So what are your thoughts on the matter, could a hammock be used and deliberately placed in a survival kit for use in such a situation. Or is it best to just stick to the ground dweller set up I have. Granite most survival situations are only a week long, again I say most. But also I did not build this just for survival but for actual escape if necessary.

Thanks in adavance