The final piece of my new hammock setup arrived today, the Mountain Laurel Designs hex tarp. I'll be setting it up later tonight, but my initial impression is one of, "Oh wow!" This tarp is so light that it practically causes my hand to float when I'm holding it.

Question: What have people found to be the best lengths for the six tie out lines required of a hex tarp?

More initial impressions: When I laid it out on the living room floor, I found that it pretty much kept the HH a-sym tarp outder dimensions (length and width), fleshing it out to form a hex shape, if that makes sense. Quality of the sewing in the tarp and stuff sack match the high level of craftsmanship I have always heard associated with MLD.

There are eight perimeter tieout points, and they are all equipped with cord locks. Ron included two bunches of cord, the somewhat heaver cord to use with the locks, and the advertised, lighter cords in case I wanted to cut off the locks.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when the sun is shining... For now, it's time to get ready for a snowy, NH hang tonight!

The only downside, though, is that after buying this tarp and two JacksRBetter quilts, Christmas presents for Others is completely out of the question.