Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

2nd Hang - WooHoo!

Well, 2 weeks ago I went out for my first hang and learned a lot. Night one started at 31F, and I woke to 24F and snow - warm and no problems. Night two was 24F starting and a strong wing. An hour and a half and me getting colder I bailed, came home and reassessed things.

Thanks to many great folks on this site and the wealth of info, I was able to put together a better set up and go out for a completely successful cold hang. Even better than anticipated.

I parked at Harpers Ferry and headed South on the AT to Blackburn Trail Center, about a 12 mile jaunt. The views from there are awesome, and I knew I'd find a great spot. The temps were 20F went I set up with a 20mph winds that I knew would die off that night. I woke to 7F and was toasty warm! I was laughing when I saw the temp. A real sense of accomplishment for me!

I had no frost on my TQ, or UQ! I was able to set up and tear down with gloves on in 3 min. each time. I was able to have the view I craved without being shut up in my tent on the cold, hard ground!

The only sad part was at 7F my digital camera wouldn't work! I wanted a pic of my thermometer showing that temp!!

Also, on the porch of the Trail Center was a scale, where I weighed my pack with 1 1/2 days of food at 24lbs!! I had a little extra gear just in case that I didn't need/use. I can't believe I can head out with a 20lb load in single digit temps and be comfortable now! Amazing!

I couldn't have been that comfortable, warm, and dry with out the many folks on this site. I was able to enjoy an awesome view and not miss an opportunity to get out just because of the weather. Thanks You All!

I used a HH Ultra light Expl. Asym with 2QZQ Mod#3 zip (loved that Mod!! Much easier to get in and out, take of shoes, ect...) I had the HH SS underneath and I made sure the space blanket wrapped around the pad (Thanks for that tip BillyBob58) My JRB No Sniveler was under that nice and snug. I used a Golite 20 deg. TQ with military poncho liner over me. To aide, I put my jacket around the hammock foot end, and used a "breath catch" as I saw in one of Shug's videos - Thanks Shug!!

I was able to set my hammock in porch mode with the wind behind me and enjoy views that extend from that ridge line all the way to our Nations Capitol! I couldn't have asked for a better set up. I slept fantastic and had an experience that would not have been possible with out the folks I mentioned above and MANY others.

I look forward to learning, experiencing, and sharing more! I really feel alive after a trip like that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joey; 01-24-2011 at 07:02.

• + New Posts