Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Added End Flaps To My BlackCat Tarp

Here is the current "post holidaze" project that I have been dinkin' around with. When I went on my 3 day trip in November I had the strong wind blowing thru my tarp on a 14o night and decided that I need flaps for Minnesota weather in Fall/Winter. Was inspired by a thread from T-Back that is somewhere in this hammock forum. I am really wanting to test the limits of hammock camping here in the winter. Got a GoLite Hex 3 for Christmas from my dear wife for winter and will use it if I go with a partner/bro-in-law but usually I go solo and have just really not wanted to ground sleep. Hammocks... oh so comfortable!
    I have included pix: One with the flaps at max width where the velcro holds them closed. This offers the most room. Also some with the tarp in a tighter pitch. As I was constructing them I realized that at times I may need to "snug" it in a bit or may not be able to deploy the tarp at full width. Came up with a "hook & line" option that works terrific. Made some loop/tie outs for the flaps and added some to the seam on the inside and out and they hold the flaps closed in a narrow or snug pitch when the velcro won't work. Of course the option is there to connect the velcro and just stake the flaps out beak-style. The "hook& line" works very easily for opening and closing the flaps from inside or out.
    Also used some Ed Speer orange cord for tie backs for the flaps. Getting very excited to try this system out and am planning a 3 night trip Jan. 3-5 in North Minnesota, probably the Superior Hiking Trail in the Finland, MN area. There are some great, not to hilly sections that afford wonderful winter vistas. Also Crosby Manitou State Park is in that section and is a backpack only park with some of the best sites and I love the forest in there. Very un-maintained! Just the way I really like it.
    That is my report. Hope all of you are happily hanging somewhere tonight.
    This is truly a helpful and insightful forum. Thanks for all your enthusiasm...
    Truly pumped,
    Shug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts