Quote Originally Posted by ricecg View Post
During a river trip on the Suwanee River, one of our counselors found a "great spot. I awoke to tent full of water that came up to my chest. My bag was a kelty mistral 0degree(synthetic) and the only way i noticed i had water in my tent was because my rain fly started to leak...the my bag dried within couple of hours of a raging fire... but it saved me I don't know how the fire started...
Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
I have spent too many nights sleeping in wet gear. Specifically, wet military ICW sleeping bags (I've had both down and synthetic fill versions), wet wool blankets, and wet poncho liners.

It is not high on my list of favorite activities, but it can be done. Depending on circumstances and the thickness of the synthetics in question, your body heat can do a good bit of the drying out during that time.

IME, wet down is the worst of the lot when it does happen. It seems to lose the most insulation factor, and be the biggest pain to dry out.

It's also the most comfy of the lot when it stays dry.

I'm new to the hammocking thing...and tend to use the military gear I'm most familiar and comfortable with. That means that I mostly carry synthetics...sometimes I'll opt for the wool blanket it since it retains a decent insulation factor when its wet (but feels like I'm lugging a volkswagen around when it is).
Good intel on that issue....thanks fellers.
Shug