Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

Another Single Line Tarp/Hammock Suspension, Whoopie Addition.

I didn't want to step on anyone’s toes by posting this in their thread. I'm still kind of new around here, and from what I can tell it’s all friendly. But sense they are a little different I thought maybe separating them would help.

First off, the thread that got me interested in this idea was started by JohnOscat, UCR Variation. Then forum members Captn & ^shane^ came in with a little more input with ^shane^ showing a couple o pictures to help me visualize this setup. Then thanks to UncleMJM, he pulled from what I gather the original creator of this fine little setup, tbctx into it. He helped me understand more of what’s going on in the setup and posted links that he so painfully looked up. So thanks to those who have helped and provided the information needed. I had so many questions in my head as to how this works, I figured I might as well just make one and find out. After doing this I figured maybe someone else would like to see some details and this system in action, so a video was born.

Links below provided by tbctx, which took a but kicking using the search to provide.
    My original thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=ridgeline
    Another thread where it came up was:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=ridgeline
    Some pictures of my original one are:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=567846758

A little detail on this particular system I did, which I think is exactly the same as tbctx & ^shane^, correct me if I'm wrong fellas. This has whoopie slings on both ends of the continuous one piece of 7/64 amsteal instead of UCR's. The way this is setup is to attach your tree straps, then marlin spike hitch. After that I have this single line suspension hooked to my tarp with soft shackle prussic & S-biner. So I pull my tarp out, hook one end up, then the other, pull the whoopies tight, last tie out the tarp. After the tarp is all setup I can pull my hammock out and hook into the Alpine butterfly knot loops. Setup is complete.

A couple of notes before watching the video. I'm not a video kind of person, this is my first one. I shot this over the weekend and believe me, after many attempts to get what I have, I may never do another (you should see some of the bloopers). Although I do have another video I shot at the same time to share, so I'll get that up later. I also have video of this system without the tarp on. So you can see the entire system without the tarp. I can try to post that if anyone would like to see it also. It just takes so darn long to upload video; I even reduced the video quality down from the original HD format.

Onto the notes about setup. You will notice in the video when I get into the hammock that the tarp looks like it comes down allot, but please pay attention to the top center, bottom center, & tie outs of the tarp, not the top edges. If you watch this over a couple of times at that point, you will see the tarp actually doesn't come down that much. You can also see what looks like sag on the outside edges of the tarp. This is due to the fact that I have my doors just hanging and not tied up or down. I also speak about being able to run the tarp under this single lines ridge line. Yes you can, but, if you watch the top ends of the tarp in the video at the point I enter the hammock, you will see the tarp actually lay flat out. This is because your weight pulls the ridge line tight and flat, so water would have a little tougher time running out the flat line, but if you’re not in it or at an angle, it still could run down underneath. I guess you could add a drip loop/line or something. But if you’re really worried about it, just flop the tarp over then back under, no need to take it off to achieve this. With this setup, as mentioned in other threads, you achieve the same lie in the hammock every time you setup. This is because the butterfly knots are at a set distance/length and hang down from the single line at the same angle every time, doesn't matter how far up, down, or tight you string it up. The two trees I'm setup between are 27' apart inside. You will see the height I have setup in the video. I also set the straps up higher with looser single line, and a tighter single line. The Higher & tighter you go, the further off the ground you will be, the looser, the lower. With this in mind you can set this system up with the tree straps closer to the ground on a larger span between trees and have the same hang as you would if the straps are further up in the trees. I usually don't have too much of a problem with getting my hammock setup with a regular setup, nor am I as particular about getting the same lie every time. I'm one of those people who could fall asleep on a rock pile when tired, done it.

What I really like about this setup. Pull out the tarp, setup, snap my hammock on, done. Quick, easy, simple, with no additional setup required, and if it's raining, I don’t have to go back out into it to tie up my hammock suspension. Now you are limited somewhat to the distance between the trees, it requires a larger distance between them. This is because I'm using whoopies on each end with a 10" bury plus a couple of inches for tarp adjustments between the butterfly knots. I have not tested this setup without line tensioners, it may work ok, I don't know. I may make another set of tensioners a little smaller so that I could get the tarp closer to the ground if I need to. Who knows, you may not need them at all and I will test this. As far as strength of the system goes, I have not seen a problem with it yet. Like I said, I'm using 7/64 Amsteal, tree straps, and a carbon arrow shaft as my spike. The knots have not slipped a bit, and I doubt they ever would because of the tension that is basically put on both sides when loaded. I am 6'4" tall, weigh anywhere between 170-180 lbs. I have bounced around in it a few times, I have strung this thing up as tight as I could pull the whoopies, sat in it to get all the stretch out of everything, then tightened the whoopies more, no problems. I believe it’s a pretty solid system, for me anyway.

I'll try to get all my measurements on the system I made this evening and post those. By the way, it sets up just as good in porch mode along with flipping one end of the tarp over for a more open view. In porch mode I really like the tensioners pulled out tight. This way I can lower my hiking poles and my porch roof down while still keeping tension on the tarp without retying.

I hope you all enjoy the video and it's somewhat helpful & informative. I'll try to answer any question you have, but like I said above. (Spotlight On) tbctx and others are probably more knowledgeable about this system than I, mainly because I just made mine and still experimenting with it. Oh, check out my new Rastaman Black Rock Hat with different color threads. Sweeeet!
    I also have a couple hats coming from MountainGoat with some tarp skins. I can't wait to add those to this setup, and my head.

Link to video just in case
    Last edited by BearChaser; 05-02-2011 at 15:57. Reason: added video link.

• + New Posts