I would like to ask some questions about an upcoming trip but since it is likely bad form to jump in without a proper introduction, here goes...

I'm from the Raleigh, NC area and have been involved with boyscouts for many years. I'm the backpacking guy in the troop and had progressed to the ULA pack, alcohol stove and Tarptent stage. The older I get the less I want to carry. I thoroughly enjoyed Philmont and Northern Tier, and about this time last year the boys had me signed up for SeaBase ... I was dreading it. I've done a lot of beach camping with the family but I just don't handle heat well so we tend to go during the cooler months. The Florida keys in July was not something I was looking forward to. After speaking with others that had gone before me it was recommended that I sleep in a hammock. The scouts have brought hammocks on trips before but they were mainly for day use. I knew little about them so I hit the Internet for info and it wasn't long before I discovered this forum and Shug's videos.

I was intrigued by what I read and dove right in buying a 1.1 double WBBB. I was also a little concerned since I'm a side sleeper. The usual drill for me in a tent is I fall asleep on one side, wake up about an hour later with that side numb then flip to the other side, sleep for an hour and repeat. I'm very stiff and sore when I get up. By day 3 I'm usually exhausted enough to sleep tolerably well. I've increased the pad thickness over the years which has helped but even the Big Agnes pad doesn't prevent the problem.

Sleeping in a hammock did require some trial and error and adjustments but the one thing I noticed from day 1 is that I was never sore or stiff in any way ... ever, which is not the case even in my bed at home. Numbness is never an issue either. Hammock sleeping at Seabase was wonderful. I've continued on, accumulating quilts, whoopee slings, a nicer, lighter weight tarp and have not looked back. My low over the winter was 15 deg. I enjoy backpacking more than ever and am more comfortable doing it.

Thanks to all who contribute their time, ideas and encouragement on this forum.

John