So I was out camping friday night. was close to dark and i was just starting to get set up. put up one tree strap and couldn't find my other treestrap in the stuffsack. looked everywhere and for some reason i then realized that i didnt actually remember taking it off the tree earlier that week when i was testing things out. I had relatively small trees to work with and began to wonder if the whoopie sling coudl be wrapped around the tree and toggled...or if i should try using my nylon rope in a truckers hitch...then i remembered one of the videos i've watched a few times some time ago about hammock camping and was able to remember the marlin spike hitch. i had been wanting to try it as currently been using s-hooks on tree straps and always meant to go back and watch again to really learn how to tie it, just never got around to it. i had my jeep with me, which meant I had a couple 30' lengths of tow strap, which is somewhat close to tree straps and rigged it with one of the s-hooks to wrap around the tree (could'nt think of a knot to use there). then actually remembered the marlin and put the sling "on the knot, not the toggle". worked fine. so, thanks for all the posts i've read and especially those videos...saved me from having to sleep on the ground this weekend!