My son and I hung in our hammocks last night. It was a gorgeous night, and I wanted to test out some gear/ideas for a couple of upcoming trips...

In my efforts to lighten up my sleeping setup, I'm cutting the sleeping bag...instead I'm using a hammock sock and, if need be, a lightweight fleece blanket.

Last night only got down to 50, so I slept in boxers on the hammock...my thinking is that as things get colder I'll add in polypropylene from my extremities inwards...gloves, socks, beanie...then long underwear...then once nights get below freezing, I'll bring the fleece blanket in to play.

The hammock sock makes a comfy micro-climate within minutes of my getting in...I really noticed it last winter when I was able to sleep with my gloved hands outside of the sleeping bag, and when my nose wasn't frozen in the morning...although the nylon breathes a bit, and it is open at both ends, I still notice some condensation by morning...frosty "ceiling" in winter and a slight dampness on the insultex "floor" in warmer weather...

We had a great time sleeping out, and hearing the noises of the forest in the night!

Jamie - NFA