Greetings all,

I am sort of new to this. I say sort of because as a kid, I used to play in an old Navy hammock and rigged a tarp over to shelter from rain. Never could get a decent mosquito net devised. Therefore I have had some rudimentary involvement.

A couple of years ago, I was posted on Guam and camped on the beach in a Guatemalan hammock between coconut trees. I had a heavy tarp - not so much for the rain, but to not get hit with falling coconuts! The wind was so heavy that bugs were not a problem. This was fun there, but not so practical here.

Since getting back to this side of the world, I have been looking at getting something worth using when either hunting or motorcycling.

My other hobby is hunting with traditionally styled (sidelock) muzzleloaders so having a portable shelter appeals to me. I am often in the woods solo.

I am sure that every new member wants to know what to buy and the more that I look and read, the less that I really am sure what to get. But I will buy or make something before long. I am over 6 ft and lean and live in the South. I plan to camp from motorcycles; truck or might bicycle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I see there is a hang in my old stomping grounds near Alexandria, LA. Might be the final push to get me to move on this project.

Thanks,

RT