Unusual request for info follows...

Like many others, I find that sleeping in a hammock helps my back as well as just being downright comfy. My back has been painful for years & as soon as I get into my hammock the relief is almost instantaneous and lasting. The thought of hanging indoors and getting relief from the pain regularly has been on my mind for a while. So I bought a couple of eye-bolts & mounted them into the ceiling joists, hung up my hammock & got in - bliss...or so I thought.

When the hammock is strung up so that it sits at a normal workable height it has too much sag for me & is too uncomfortable to sleep in. If I string it tighter to get the right amount of sag, it ends up too high of the floor to get in & out off easily. As it is, I have to stand on a footstool to get in & out the hammock & want to avoid using a stepladder!! I have 8ft ceiling height & the eye-bolts are mounted about 12ft apart. I'm using a WBBB with adjustable webbing suspension.

I can't mount the eye-bolts any further apart so I was wondering how to fix my problem. I don't want to mount the eye-bolts into the walls because of the high tensions put on them when the hammock is weighted. I could buy a hammock stand but it would take up the entire room & I'd have to get rid of my bed altogether or have it leaning up against one of the walls out of the way - so those options are out for now.

Spoke to my GF about it & she said "Why don't you get a couple of stripper poles & install them where you need them & tie your hammock to them?" Clearly, I thought this was a great idea (hoping she might decide to also use them as intended ). So I check out the price of them & they're £150 each for the strongest one - too much money for me right now but could save the cash if necessary.

Thought about using scaffolding poles instead & mounting them using suitable flanges screwed into the ceiling joists & floor, however I kinda like the idea of having two ahem, poles, in my room that primarily hold up my hammock. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made... these poles are specially designed to be strong enough to support a human swinging on them & not pull out, so they'd be perfect to suspend a hammock from - right? I could stop the hammock suspension from sliding down the poles by running a sling from the ceiling eye-bolts to the suspension & anchoring each end in place. This would mean I could adjust the tension & get the right amount of sag at any height off the floor that I like. I'd most likely anchor the poles with screws/bolts permanently just for peace of mind, but it's also handy that they can be removed easily & quickly if need be.

Has anyone else tried this? Did it work? Are there any other options I should consider?

SWMBO is clearly awesome for understanding my need for hanging my hammock indoors and suggesting an equally awesome solution that took me by surprise at it's sheer genius & simplicity - and made me grin from ear-to-ear at the same time!!

Would welcome any comments & suggestions on this idea from all on HF. It's certainly an unusual way of hanging a hammock indoors, & it's probably more unusual for a guy to have not one, but two poles in his bedroom - for any reason!! But kinda cool at the same time