Hey folks. I am a noobie and just got my HH (Explorer Ultra). Was comfortable enough but failed to meet my expectations. At just over 6 feet tall, I was surprised to find I could not get flat enough even with getting on an angle from edge of bug netting to bug netting.

So in my usual pursuit of perfection I have been playing around with a few ideas and was wondering if someone might have an opinion to share on one of them.

The basic idea is this. Instead of gathering all of the rectangular fabric of the hammock into a single gather and whipping it together, gather and whip together the half of the width (approx 32 inches) of the fabric from the right side of the to the middle width. Do the same on the other end so that the gathers are diagonal from each other. These gathers will form the main support for the hammock that will then be tied off to the trees. If you are still following the image I am trying to create, we would have a half formed hammock with diagonal corners ungathered. The ungathered fabric will then form the direction on which you would lay down.

Next we would gather and whip from the left outside edge about 20 inches of fabric leaving about 12 inches ungathered. Do this at both ends of the hammock. These secondary gathers would then be tied off to the main gather. The line used to tie it off would have to be short enough to eliminate stress on the ungathered fabric but long enough to allow the second gather to move away from the first, maybe about 11 inches after the knots have been tied. Also maybe some heavy reinforcement at the edge of the ungathered fabric to prevent a lengthwise tear from beginning if stain were placed on it.

The whole idea is to cause the hammock to have a ability to expand more than a single gather allows without making the hammock very very long.

So for those who have not already concluded I am smoking an illegal substance..... and can somehow picture what I am trying to convey in these hastily written words , please poke holes, give your thoughts, or direct me to the post of the last lunatic to think something like this might work.

Thanks very much!