Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
Billy Bob, I think most of the increased warmth you experience when you crawl inside you bag (you must be related to Houdini)
Houdini! That's a hoot! Actually, it was almost impossible for me to get zipped up in a bag when I FIRST STARTED down the hammock obsession road. But now it is no big deal, though it is definitely easier in some hammocks than others. However, quilt style is no doubt easier and more comfortable ( assuming I can stay warm) than bag style. It is the way I sleep most of the time.

........comes from using the hood, not much if any benefit at all from the compressed insulation on the down side. If you used a JRB hood or a Bozeman Mtn Balaclava with the bag quilt-style, I don't think you'd see much difference.....
Well, yes and no.

YES I have separate hoods and balclavas ( hooded PG jacket, thick Patagonia Pile balclava, neck gaitors and even a 3" thick gore dry loft Marmot separate hood!). I have almost always used one or more of these when trying to use my bags quilt style below 30*. Virtually every time I found myself too cold, getting in the bag ( often after removing some of my warm clothing and/or hoods) and zipping up, sealing the neck collar and cinching down the hood to a breathing hole, I would be more than warm enough pretty quickly. It really was never much of a contest. In addition, my back, which had not been actually cold but not actually warm ( I would mainly be aware of discomfort on top) would now also get an actual "warm" sensation pretty quick.

But, keep in mind, this is trying to use a mummy bag as a quilt. The seal and draft around the neck and shoulders and sides- especially when I turn over in my sleep- is just no good compared to being zipped up in the bag. However, I'm pretty sure a quilt- designed to be used as a quilt from the get go- would be quite superior in being able to prevent these drafts. Thus if used with any of my hoods would probably be a-ok. Though I still doubt it could quite match the draft proof seal of a mummy bag's hood/collar. But it should be pretty close, I imagine. And much more comfortable and easy to use.

NO: I don't think so regarding back warmth of either a quilt or down bag vs a synthetic bag. The test I am reporting has nothing to do with hoods or drafts. It was the same in both cases. With the bag used quilt style( or any other quilt and probably a down bag), the only insulation between me and the cold air is the nylon of my hammock. When I got in the bag for the test, I did not zip the bag up nor put the hood on. If anything I had less coverage now on top than I did quilt style, because I was fully unzipped on one side. But there was an almost instant and significant improvement in my back comfort/warmth so that I could have stayed there all night if needed.

No, I don't think the dif ( in this bck yard test ) had anything to do with hoods or draft prevention. It was that layer of PG under my back, combined with whatever benefit was contributed by the bags wind/water resistant shell. Or so it seems to me, but I might be wrong.